Old 06-23-2009   #1
RobinWijland
Veteran

RobinWijland is an unknown quantity at this point
GTA IV keeps crashing

Hi,

Two weeks ago i've treated myself on a new PC. The "old" one was two years old. It was getting a bit slow for some games. I played GTA 4 on it, but it always runs stuck and all.

So i've installed my brand new fast PC, and installed GTA 4. Ran all the updates. It runs very smoothly and the details are high, no problems.. well there are, sometimes the screen is blackish, and i have to adjust the settings to look normal. Not a very big deal.

The big deal is that after 10 minutes, or sometimes half an hour or an hour the game just freezes.
First I see the textures "falling behind" and after a few seconds the game freezes.(The video card temperature is not high) Sometimes I can close the program with Task manager, sometimes it's so worse that I have to turn my PC off. What the hell? I've got a good PC and still i have problems, I can't even play normal? Can anyone help? Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8300 (S775, 4x2.5GHz, 4MB, 1333MHz FSB)
Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-CM
Memory: Kingston 4 GB, DDR2, 800 mhz
Video Card: Ati HD4850, 1024 MB, DDR3

Last edited by RobinWijland; 06-23-2009 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: More detail.
RobinWijland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #2
RobinWijland
Veteran

No replies...

Hmm well. My old tower is equipped with 4 cooling fans / systems.
My new tower is just standard.
So what i'm going to do is tear down my hardware from my new PC, and build it over in my old tower.
Then i'll format the PC and install Windows Vista 64 bit edition. Instead of Win XP 32 bit which i'm using now.

Let's hope this will help otherwise I'm out of options.

Goddamnit, all this trouble just for GTA IV.
Old 06-27-2009   #3
Buddah_Lova
4/29/08

Buddah_Lova is an unknown quantity at this point
just buy a 360 or a ps3
Buddah_Lova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009   #4
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah. That's not exactly a fix to a problem, it's just negating it.

I wouldn't know how to help exactly, other than recommend going over all the drivers (Mobo, Audio, Radeon GPU).

Other resource intensive games work fine on your rig?
Old 06-27-2009   #5
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
Yeah. That's not exactly a fix to a problem, it's just negating it.

I wouldn't know how to help exactly, other than recommend going over all the drivers (Mobo, Audio, Radeon GPU).

Other resource intensive games work fine on your rig?
I'm gonna back this one up. Spec-wise you shouldn't have a problem. Spec-wise you should be indestuctable 0.0
Old 06-27-2009   #6
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
So the game is updated, your specs are enough to run the game decently, etc, it sounds like the Memory Leak problem some PC Gamers get, it should be, well, better in the latest patched versions though but until it's fully fixed I can only suggest turning off Shadows as this graphic option eats up Ram like a bitch, turning the Shadows off should at least prolong your gameplay time.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #7
zeeshan810
RockstarDB.com

zeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enough
Please contact Rockstar Support. They can help you.
Rockstar Support
Old 06-30-2009   #8
RobinWijland
Veteran

Hi to all above,

I've already sent a mail to RS Support. Thanks.

I havent tried many other games yet, cause i've just got the new computer.
Well my sister played The Sims 3 with no problems at all.

Like I said, perhaps the problems are coming from using Win XP 32 bit version. I'm going to format my PC and install Vista 64 bit edition in a few days.
Then we'll see what happens. I'll post an update when i'm ready.

Has anyone experienced when inserting the DVD that the autorun screen has strange symbols instead of text like "Exit, and Run game"???? I have. It's weird.
Old 06-30-2009   #9
zeeshan810
RockstarDB.com

zeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enoughzeeshan810 will become famous soon enough
If you contacted them today, then you will have to wait a little longer. They will contact you within 72 hours. Also if your Win XP 64 bit doesn't work contact Rockstar Support by phone.

For US Support

Phone: 1-866-405-5464

For Canadian Support
Phone: 1-800-269-5721

For UK Support
Phone: 08701 200060

Last edited by zeeshan810; 06-30-2009 at 12:55 PM..
zeeshan810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #10
RobinWijland
Veteran

There is no Netherlands support?

If there isn't I could do with the UK.
I'll just phone them from work, no costs for me thaddaboy haha.
Old 07-01-2009   #11
zeeshan810
RockstarDB.com

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinWijland View Post
There is no Netherlands support?

If there isn't I could do with the UK.
I'll just phone them from work, no costs for me thaddaboy haha.
yeah..you will have to call UK Support. Good Luck hope your GTA IV works fine. But Rockstar Games Support can help you with anything.

Last edited by zeeshan810; 07-01-2009 at 03:49 PM..
zeeshan810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #12
.:Mouldy Punk:.

.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of
Quote:
Hi,

Two weeks ago i've treated myself on a new PC. The "old" one was two years old. It was getting a bit slow for some games. I played GTA 4 on it, but it always runs stuck and all.

So i've installed my brand new fast PC, and installed GTA 4. Ran all the updates. It runs very smoothly and the details are high, no problems.. well there are, sometimes the screen is blackish, and i have to adjust the settings to look normal. Not a very big deal.

The big deal is that after 10 minutes, or sometimes half an hour or an hour the game just freezes.
First I see the textures "falling behind" and after a few seconds the game freezes.(The video card temperature is not high) Sometimes I can close the program with Task manager, sometimes it's so worse that I have to turn my PC off. What the hell? I've got a good PC and still i have problems, I can't even play normal? Can anyone help? Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8300 (S775, 4x2.5GHz, 4MB, 1333MHz FSB)
Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-CM
Memory: Kingston 4 GB, DDR2, 800 mhz
Video Card: Ati HD4850, 1024 MB, DDR3
In an attempt to actually try and get the damn game working properly on my computer, I found this thread. I am having EXACTLY the same problem. Every detail you mentioned is exactly what happens with my game.

My PC's specs;
Processor: AMD 4800+ x2
Memory: 2GB DDR2
Video card: 1GB ATI 4670
Mobo: MSI k9vgm

Considering we're having the same problem and the only hardware we have that's even made by the same company is the graphics card, I suspect the problem lies with the graphics drivers. I'm using the Steam version, and judging from your posts, you have the DVD version?

Did you have any luck with R* support?

Hosted on ImgBin.Org | Happy Easter...ish
.:Mouldy Punk:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #13
RobinWijland
Veteran

Hey man.

Sorry for not getting back earlier, just spent 3 weeks holiday abroad.

I've emailed rockstar like y'all said. No response. Yes I have the DVD version.

In the meantime my neighbour reinstalled my PC with Windows Vista 64 bits edition.
DirectX 10 and newest video card drivers.

I've installed the game.. run it... and now it's even worse than before, the game crashes with the intro movie, starting a game takes even longer than my previous computer. I just get kicked back to windows.

So only two options remain.. Windows Vista 32 bit edition and/ or calling Rockstar Support.
And thinking that i've already finished the single player on my old PC before... but that took a lot of sweat and anger because it always crashed...
Old 09-14-2009   #14
RobinWijland
Veteran

Well...

The problem still exists.
Now the only thing that happens after playing 5 minutes, or 30 minutes, time really unreliable.
The frame building stops, the world "stops" to build. Textrures are falling behind, that the game freezes, crashes, or continues for some seconds and remains frozen, something like that.

The next things have been exchanged under warranty because the company which i've bought my PC from thought some things weren't right.
- New (improved) mother board installed.
- New, faster and cooled 4GB Ram installed
- We've tried another video card, a NVidea 8800 still no effect.

Excuse on the video card, it's not 1024 MB but a ASUS ATI 4850 DD3 with 512 MB.

The game keeps crashing. What the fucking fuck!

Can anyone help me for christ sakes, since Rockstar doesn't email me back.

Last edited by RobinWijland; 09-18-2009 at 10:57 AM..
RobinWijland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #15
turror
Skidmark
Newbie Member

turror is on a distinguished roadturror is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well...

The problem still exists.
Now the only thing that happens after playing 5 minutes, or 30 minutes, time really unreliable.
The frame building stops, the world "stops" to build. Textrures are falling behind, that the game freezes, crashes, or continues for some seconds and remains frozen, something like that.

The next things have been exchanged under warranty because the company which i've bought my PC from thought some things weren't right.
- New (improved) mother board installed.
- New, faster and cooled 4GB Ram installed
- We've tried another video card, a NVidea 8800 still no effect.

Excuse on the video card, it's not 1024 MB but a ASUS ATI 4850 DD3 with 512 MB.

The game keeps crashing. What the fucking fuck!

Can anyone help me for christ sakes, since Rockstar doesn't email me back.
have you patched the game to the latest version?(1.0.40)
do you have antivirus program?
if you do, I think you should turn off your antivirus program
my specs are lower than you, but I played the game without problem
turror is offline   Reply With Quote