Old 03-02-2009   #1
Noverech
Newbie Member

Noverech is an unknown quantity at this point
pipe bomb question

what is the actual difference between the grenade and the pipe bomb? ive tried doing a few google searches but i cant find anything.

i thought the pipe bomb would be like a grenade but it explodes on impact when it hits something but it just bounces off everything exactly like the grenade so whats the difference?
Noverech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #2
swallowed

swallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really nice
My only guess would be that you actually know when the Pipe Bomb is going to explode (indicated by the beeping sound), whereas you don't know when a grenade is actually going to explode.

So you can time your throws with the Pipe Bomb (for example, if a car is coming towards you and you want to blow it up, then you hold the button until the beeping indicates its just about to explode and then drop it)
swallowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #3
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Not much difference, Pipe Bombs have a greater Range where as Grenades have a shorter Range but do more Damage.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #4
GTA Mike
Eh?

GTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to behold
I thought grenades beeped as well

That would have been cool if you had a switch to set the pipe bombs off
Old 03-02-2009   #5
swallowed

swallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really niceswallowed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Mike View Post
I thought grenades beeped as well

That would have been cool if you had a switch to set the pipe bombs off
Oh yeah, they do My bad
swallowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #6
dokujitsu
GTA addict since 2001

dokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura about
I was hoping for Duke Nukem style pipe bombs with remote detonation. Would have been almost as good as the sticky satchels from SA!
Old 03-02-2009   #7
GTA Mike
Eh?

GTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to behold
Oh yeah, I forgot about those satchels, I loved those, I could spend hours just setting up traps and shit lol
Old 03-02-2009   #8
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
The pipe bombs just sound scary as fuck when they go off, love em though
Old 03-03-2009   #9
Noverech
Newbie Member

i could be wrong but after i've been messing around a bit more in TLAD it seems like the pipe bomb explosion is bigger then the grenade explosions. for example cars fly higher if you throw one next to a car.

i haven't had a chance to confirm this yet but i read somewhere that if you throw a pipe bomb under a car, it will explode no matter what the timer is. so you can just toss a pipe bomb and if it passes under a car with 4 seconds left on the timer, it will explode regardless.

can anyone confirm this? thanks!
Old 03-03-2009   #10
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Like I said before, the Pipe Bomb has a larger Blast Radius compared to the grenade, so naturally, if it goes off under a car it will send it flying further away. Grenades have a shorter range but do more damage so is better for taking out people where as Pipe Bombs are better for Cars.
Old 03-04-2009   #11
Noverech
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_735 View Post
Like I said before, the Pipe Bomb has a larger Blast Radius compared to the grenade, so naturally, if it goes off under a car it will send it flying further away. Grenades have a shorter range but do more damage so is better for taking out people where as Pipe Bombs are better for Cars.
sorry but this doesnt really make sense to me..if the pipe bomb has a LARGER blast radius, doesnt that mean its more powerful then the grenade and is better for taking out people?

and what do you mean by grenades having a shorter range? you mean you cant throw them as far?
Old 03-04-2009   #12
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
A larger blast radius might imply that a bigger area will be affected by the Explosion (The Shockwave if you call it that).

In real life a grenade would inflict massive damage from shrapnel in a semi radius. In GTA4 terms it might just have a shorter range but a bigger damage ratio. A pipe bomb might hit more people but you have less chance of actually killing anyone outside a certain range.

A regular M76 grenade for example has a effective killzone of 5 meters, it induces casualties up to 15 meters, fragments known to have traveled 200+ Meters.
Old 03-04-2009   #13
Ash_735

Xan pretty much summed it up, I couldn't of explained it that well. Pipe Bombs are meant to be used against vehicles as they come with their own Gas Tank to cause more damage.