Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > The Lost and Damned
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009   #46
flint.44
Fuhgeddaboudit!

flint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really nice
I don't hate the 360, I just think that Microsoft is making some drastic decisions in their marketing.
flint.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #47
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
I don't see how they have, they're doing their best to cater for the gaming community, shelled out $50m for their community and tried to make as many corrections for their hardware errors. I think their HD DVD plot was brilliant, you buy it seperately if you want it, you're not forced to get it if you want the console, something which Sony seemed to do with the PS3, which upped their prices a lot imo.

And the changes they've made with the NXE were pretty sweet, the appearance isn't the greatest, but the option to install to the HDD is a brilliant idea.
thenotsogoodtrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #48
the_sextein

the_sextein is on a distinguished roadthe_sextein is on a distinguished roadthe_sextein is on a distinguished road
I bought GTA 4 on the PS3 so I won't be getting the lost and the damned. I can't say I am all that bitter about Rockstar's decision though. I mean, I really like GTA and have purchased every single one on release day and I won't be able to play this add on which is a let down but it's not really Sony's fault. Sony could have given Rockstar even more than 50 million so that the exclusive content would come out only on their system but I think there is a point where a company needs to draw the line and I believe Microsoft is the last company in the world that will actually draw that line.

Nobody can beat Microsoft when it comes down to paying off everyone to beat the competition. I do find it strange that Microsoft is going to lay off 5000 employees this year but they don't have a problem paying 50 million dollars so an expansion pack for a video game won't be released on a competing system. That 50 million didn't go to Rockstar so that they would build the content for Xbox it went to Rockstar so that they would not release it on the PS3. Rockstar would be stupid to not release it's content to both Xbox and PS3 users unless someone payed them more money then they would actually earn buy selling their games to just sit around and sell less games. Everyone who owns the Xbox 360 will purchase the add on anyway so that 50 millions dollars went towards screwing PS3 owners and their own employees.

Can't blame Rockstar though. That is alot of money. More than they would have made from PS3 users. In any case the GTA games were Sony only last time due to pay off's so I can't say Sony didn't start it. They started a trend that will destroy them in the end. Money rules all and Microsoft has more of it.

All in all if I really wanted the lost and the damned I could go buy a 360 since they are not that expensive, but I really don't feel like feeding the bastards who did this. Microsoft has ignored it's PC platform in an attempt to rule the console world. Their OS is shit and all of the talented PC game developers are now payed off and working on 360 games that will be ported to the PC in non-working condition. The graphics industry has no reason to increase because games are not improving past the 360 hardware from 3 years ago and fast GPU's won't fix poorly coded console ports. In the end Microsoft is starting to hurt the industry because there is no point in being competitive with them. Even if you build a better product chances are they will just buy everyone who is better than them or pay off companies who can compete with their competitiion for them.

Rockstar makes some great games and they would have no problem selling their games to everyone who is interested in them but thanks to corporate greed Rockstar will be selling their games to less people and still make more money. I could be pissed at Rockstar but I can't blame them for taking a bunch of free money. It just rubs me the wrong way that Microsoft is willing to stoop that low in an atempt to crush their competition. They go to court multiple times a year for being a monopoly and sometimes they lose in court and have to pay huge fines but nothing ever stops them from doing it again and again.

I have not purchased a $500 graphic card from Nvidia this year, or a PC version of GTA 4 which I usually pick up on top of the console version I already own. I have not purchased many PC games nor have I seen the industry really move forward since the 360 launched. I understand that Microsoft doesn't care because they will sell their OS on every computer regardless of weather people play PC games or not, but they are hurting the rest of the industry. Too bad cause they have done alot for the PC industry but it looks like they have peaked and decided to just let it rot now. Both my PC and PS3 experience has been blasted by their constant console obsession.

Last edited by the_sextein; 01-23-2009 at 01:00 AM..
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #49
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
lol your last paragraph there makes microsoft sound like.... EA!
lillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #50
the_sextein

the_sextein is on a distinguished roadthe_sextein is on a distinguished roadthe_sextein is on a distinguished road
Yeah I know, that's what pisses me off. Then again maybe Rockstar really should be the one to put their foot down and do buisness with their customers like they are supposed to. They sell games to people who want them. That is how they make money. Making money for denying part of their fanbase is counter-productive. It's free money and I can relate to their decision but it really isn't what they are suposed to be about.

It's like polititions who get elected for promising the most hand outs. It's disgusting because they are pretty much ignoring their job and just giving money away to people who want money for free in exchange for their vote. I can't blame them but that is not the way honest buisness is supposed to work. I know, not a perfect world.

Similar loopholes in corporate practices is what causes so many problems in the industry. Especially for smaller companies that actually work at their job to try and make an honest dollar by providing a service to consumers who are intersted in quality work. All of these orginizations who do this shit have all worked hard in the past in order to have the funds to do what they are doing now. I just think it's sick that they are content to do nothing because they still make money through these loopholes. It's like, once you have made a certain amount of money you can just sit around and pay companies who will make money for you even if these practices hurt society. They don't care.

Last edited by the_sextein; 01-23-2009 at 12:51 AM..
Old 01-23-2009   #51
devil chevelle
guy with the worst punctuation

devil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enough
i think this is just sony tryin to put confidence in there fans. i mean yes a lot of things arent exclusive anymore but usually the things i dont see being exclusive anymore are like xbox 360 games that go to pc but its still all microsoft. as for metal gear solid goin to xbox 360 i believe the contract they have is for a couple of years. and as for the contract with rockstar on dlc the content im pretty sure is to stay permanently so if rockstar where to give it to ps3 users they would get sued out of the asshole and they will probably be paying that 50 mil and then some to payback microsofts fee. also to add my own fanboy stuff i used to own all systems but i sold the ps3 cus frankly the only reason i bought it was for blu ray which i think was very overrated, and the other reason i got the ps3 was cus i get discounts (being a best buy salesman) but i just got rid of it cus i never played it and i felt like it was just a let down of a system.

o and also another reason was cause i couldent stand using psn im sorry this is gonna sound totally biased but i could not stand that shit i would rather pay the 50 dollars a year, and also for some reason people on live tend to be more of my type and are talkative.

Last edited by devil chevelle; 01-23-2009 at 12:54 AM..
devil chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #52
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys, let me look into everything way too much.

:\
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #53
the_sextein

lol, Oh that was clever your a pretty funny guy. But seriously, If Rockstar asked both Sony and Microsoft for cash to fund their expansion pack then ok. My question would be, how is a publisher as prominent as Rockstar unable to fund their own expansion packs? Especially since GTA 4 alone probably made a 500% prophit. Why would they need to ask console developers for the cash in advance? Also, Microsoft didn't give them 50 million so that they could create the content and then pay them back. From how I understand it Microsoft just gave them 50 million dollars to keep. Maybe I am wrong but it sounds shady to me.

The idea that Microsoft is supporting their customers by helping out a developer in need is pushing it a bit far in my opinion. It's more like, Microsoft is handing out money to a company that is fully capable of making games on it's own and they are asking for nothing in return but suddenly Xbox 360 gets the downloadable content exclusivly. It looks like Microsoft payed Rockstar so that the content Rockstar was interested in making would only go to their system.

I don't know if Rockstar tries to get other companies to pay all their bills in return for favors or if they are contacted by individuals that are willing to pay massive amounts of money in order to keep certain games away from the competition. Either way is sounds like crap to me. All in all it could be that the content is only exclusive for a small period of time or it could be that the conent is exclusive forever. Either way I just don't dig it.

It's one thing to be assosiated with a specific system or company because you prefer it or you have loyalty towards it. If GTA 4 had been announced as an Xbox 360 exclusive I certainly wouldn't have had a problem with that. My problem is that both systems got the game and they both got it at the same time and now only one system is getting the expansion packs because the company that makes that system paid Rockstar 50 million dollars.

I bet if Microsoft and Sony didn't pay Rockstar shit, Rockstar would fund it's own games and sell them on both systems. They would make prophit from their fans that are willing to pay for a service, you know an honest prophit. Not from some company that offers them huge sums of free money for no reason other than to hold the game to their platform only. That just sounds lazy and not very honest. The way I see it is Microsoft paid Rockstar a huge amount of money for absolutly nothing other than to keep their software off the competitions system by paying them more money then they would actually earn on their own from PS3 users.

Maybe in the future after these two expansions they will start making expansions for both systems or maybe Sony will pay for some exclusives but I just don't see a point. I liked it when certain developers would side with a company and stick with them even in tough times. Nintentdo had third party publishers that acted like that for a while. The hardware in the system didn't make a big differance it came down to who had the best developers under their belt. Today , developers are like whores that do whatever for whoever as long as you shell out some extra cash for absolutly nothing in return. It's not about selling their own games for their own prophit. It's about making extra money for doing nothing.

Last edited by the_sextein; 01-26-2009 at 03:03 AM..
Old 01-26-2009   #54
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, the_sextein, you are going way over on this. R* asked both, Sony declined, MS accepted, MS paid $50 Million, R* Invested $25 Million into each DLC Episode, Bigger DLC was created. Most game companies don't see much profits from DLC so the time developing it doesn't seem worth it, that's why most games just get basic map packs as DLC, now yeah, games out there that rake it in due to DLC (Rock band for example). What's happened here is that R* are attempting a full add on (Stories style game) as DLC so they've used the money from MS to fund that, so even if they don't make it back, they haven't wasted any of their finance on it. Plus I'm sure you know the worlds in shit at the moment and Take2 of all companies can't just throw money around.
Ash_735 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #55
devil chevelle
guy with the worst punctuation

devil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
Maybe in the future after these two expansions they will start making expansions for both systems or maybe Sony will pay for some exclusives but I just don't see a point. I liked it when certain developers would side with a company and stick with them even in tough times. Nintentdo had third party publishers that acted like that for a while. The hardware in the system didn't make a big differance it came down to who had the best developers under their belt. Today , developers are like whores that do whatever for whoever as long as you shell out some extra cash for absolutly nothing in return. It's not about selling their own games for their own prophit. It's about making extra money for doing nothing.
i do agree with the whore part it seems like no companys and most people dont have integrity now a days all they want is money and self concern first even if it requires fuckin over the customers or morales just to get ahead.
devil chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #56
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
i'm sorry but isn't the main point of a business to make money?
these game companies are for profit of course they would sign deals with who ever has the bigger wallet.
You gotta understand that Microsoft paid basically for a service that Rockstar will provide.
That service is developing DLC for Microsoft's Xbox LIVE customers.
I'm sure if any of you were running a business and were offered to develop a product exclusively for a very large sum of money you'd take it.
And as Ash said Take 2 has had financial problems so 50 million is something they'd be stupid to pass up.
Old 01-26-2009   #57
the_sextein

Ok, maybe your right. But just for the record I want to put my opinion into perspective. I understand why they did it and I am not steaming pissed at Rockstar for doing it BUT, while I agree that Rockstar is here to make money I believe they are being a bit shady about it. Maybe I am off base here but I just feel that Rockstar should be funding it's own games and selling them for a prophit to as many people as possible. I don't agree with being funded by a company who happens to be one of the main competiing console manufactures. Also, while I understand that times are rough Rockstar just made like 1 billion dollars off GTA 4 so they can't be doing that bad. I mean, they probably made more money then any other game in the history of gaming so they whould have some decent prophits and if I remember correctly even Bioshock was done by 2 K under the same lable so they should be doing pretty darn well.

Again, if they would have announced it for Xbox 360 only then I would not have a problem but they released the game for both systems at the same time and now they are only releasing content on one system who happened to pay them a bunch of money that they didn't actually need in order to make the extra material. Yes Take 2 could have taken a loss for this downloadable content but that is what being in a buisness is all about. You take risks, sometimes you come out on top and some times you sink to the bottom.

I'm just pissed because I don't play many games at all and I don't want to have to own every game system on the market in order to play a handful of games that I actaully like. If I were a hardcore gamer than it wouldn't matter, I would want to own all the systems since they all have their own strengths but for me it's just not important. I bought a PS3 so that I could get GTA 4 early and still be able to play Tekkon 6 and Final Fantasy 13. Other than that it had a back up blu- ray player I could use if I needed. All of my other gaming needs were taken care of on the PC. I don't have any problems or dislike toward the 360 it's just that I have never wanted one in the least.

The only games that I am interested in that the Xbox 360 has that I cannot buy on my PC or PS3 would be Gears of War 2 and that certainly was not enough to justify blowing $400 on a 360. However, the economy is getting really bad and my hours just got cut from 55 a week to 32 so it looks like I can't afford to keep my PC up to date anyway. Besides, like I mentioned before it looks like Microsoft has really put a dent in the PS3 and the PC gaming platforms. Maybe I should just pick up a 360 and let go of my PC obsession. Right now it's just not worth all the money and time to get half assed console ports that barly run. GTA 4 is a perfect example of where PC gaming is right now. I do find it strange though that the PC won't be getting this content since Microsoft is the one in charge of games for Windows but they just keep ignoring it for some reason.

In anycase I am checking out the black 360 elite system. I need the HDMI/1080P specs to take advantage of my TV. It's kinda lame that there is no WIFI or rechargable contoller battery included with the system especially since it doesn't come with HDDVD or Blueray either. I'll admit the 120gig hardrive is alot more space than I could ever need so atleast that is nice. One thing is for sure, if I buy one I am getting the extended warrenty from Best Buy cause everyone I know that owns a 360 has had to return it at least two times since they bought it. That is another thing holding me back. I don't like buying bad electronics. It may be a great game system but it has proven to be a faulty design that clearly is not stable.

This is why I am pissed. If Rockstar was not sleeping with Microsoft I wouldn't be in this situation and it gets on my nerves.

Ash, I understand that Sony was offered a deal and they turned it down but let me ask you this. In your honest opinion do you believe that Sony or Microsoft should have to pay a game developer to do it's job? Rockstar is supposed to be making games and Sony and Microsoft are supposed to get prophit from Rockstar's video games. I don't see why these console developers who are supposed to be taking money from Rocksta'rs prophits are suddenly shelling out money to them other than the fact that Rockstar is putting out huge hits that will sway large portions of gamers to buy a 360 and purchase the game on the 360 system. Suddenly Microsoft feels the need to ad a little shady incentive and now the PS3 customers are shafted. I can't see it any other way. I believe if it were any other game Microsoft wouldn't have payed anything and the developer would sell the game to everyone for maximum sales.

Last edited by the_sextein; 01-26-2009 at 11:18 PM..
Old 01-27-2009   #58
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Xbox 360 Premium has HDMI and supports 1080p. The Elite's only advantage is storage (or color if you prefer black, but modding your 360 with a case and replacing the faulty clamps that give the console RRoD still comes out cheaper). You can buy a WiFi add-on for the 360 if you really need to or relocate your router/modem to another room.

The More You Know: Running an extended ethernet cable to your 360 is cheaper, provides more bandwidth, and is more stable and less troublesome than WiFi.

Everything else in your post is just you bawwing because you want DLC. A short time from now, you're going to look back and slap yourself for making these pointless, time-consuming rants.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #59
the_sextein

No actually I won't if you actually took the time to read what I wrote you would understand why I am pissed. Owning a 360 is not going to make me happy about this. Also I know all about WIFI and hardwired connections. It's just that I have 6 differant machines running off of a hub and the wires get really annoying. Being that I am not a huge online gamer and I would be using the internet mainly for firmware and game patches I think WIFI would be great. I am not going to modify my Xbox 360 either because it will cause warrenty problems if anything else goes wrong with it.

Sooner or later you might learn that people that get upset over things are not always cry baby's just because you don't agree with them. As for my rants being pointless, yeah well so is your comment and everything on this board. Besides, the majority of my posts are simply typed out for the sake of discussion. You know, what forums are for. I could type things like "hey guys let me try to sound clever and fail at it"

:\

but while I may not agree with everyone I don't go out of my way to piss people off.

Last edited by the_sextein; 01-27-2009 at 07:50 AM..
Old 01-27-2009   #60
lillb
Casual User

Just letting you know this isn't the only game that microsoft got exclusive DLC for. Fallout 3 also has DLC coming out today as well as two other packs in Feb. and March which are exclusive to 360 and PC. On the Fallout 3 forum PS3 users are also complaining about it.
Also i noticed you said you wanted ps3 for FF13
I believe that is also coming out for 360 so FF is no longer exclusive to Playstation

Normally I'd probably think big money hungry Microsoft was the bad guy, but since i'm now a customer and I can see some of their big money is actually benefiting their customers. Which is what a company should do, take care of its customers and be better than the competition to draw in more customers. So I can't really blame Microsoft for doing everything it can to get exclusive rights to things people will want in an effort to sell more systems and get more LIVE customers.
I guess i'm just happy I was lucky enough to get a 360 for christmas cause i used to be a big PS fan boy when i had PS2.