Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2008   #1
gowinsgo8803
Newbie Member

gowinsgo8803 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will GTA 4 work on my computer?

Hey everyone, hope all is well.

I recently bought GTA 4 for PC (finally!), but I haven't opened it yet, since I'm not sure if it will work on my computer. I have the specs listed below;

I have the specs for each, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Game (recommended)
Processor: intel core 2 quad 2.4 Ghz, AMD Phenom x3 2.1 Ghz
Memory: 2.0 GB XP, 18 GB hard drive
video card: 512 MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512 MN ATI 3870

Game (minimum)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
Memory: 1.5 GB XP, 16 GB hard drive
video card: 256MB NVidia 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

My PC:
Processor: dell inspiron I6400, Intel (R) CPU T2600, 2.14 Ghz
Memory: 2.0 GB XP, 35 GB hard drive
video card: ATI mobility radeon x1400 (0x7145)
The sticker on the computer also says Intel Core Duo inside.

I went to a site called "CanYouRunIt?", and it said that the processor and graphics card were not up to par. I did the same thing on my brother's computer, however, and with a different game. It said the same thing, that the processor and graphics card (as well as other requirements) didn't meet up. The games work on his computer though - there are diminished graphics (namely in NHL 08, no ref or fans in the crowd), but the game still works at normal speed.

Will GTA work on my computer? I can't return it if I open it, so any opinions/advice would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays everyone.
gowinsgo8803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #2
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd consider returning it, your specs are close but also fall below the reccommended and as we all know, those reccommened specs were a load of bull, you need a much more stronger computer to run this game well or at least a very fast CPU. The game is hit and miss on most computers so you can either chance it and hope it runs good, or return it for now until the game is further patched.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #3
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
It might work, but don't hope that it'll work good. The game is CPU heavy, you can have a decent graphics card, but without the processor, you're fucked basically. Installing it won't to any damages, and because of that, asking if it will run when you already have it is a bit of a weird thing to do :/

If you hadn't bought it, then fair enough, but seen as though you have it, I don't see what was stopping you from installing it and finding out for yourself.

Old 12-23-2008   #4
JC
PhD, MSc, BSc

JC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enough
I dont think that GTA IV will run on your PC..I would return the game.. or as Ash said, wait for a patch.

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.
Malcolm X
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #5
gowinsgo8803
Newbie Member

Quote:
It might work, but don't hope that it'll work good. The game is CPU heavy, you can have a decent graphics card, but without the processor, you're fucked basically. Installing it won't to any damages, and because of that, asking if it will run when you already have it is a bit of a weird thing to do :/

If you hadn't bought it, then fair enough, but seen as though you have it, I don't see what was stopping you from installing it and finding out for yourself.

The issue here is that once I open the game, I can only exchange it for another copy, not return it for a refund. So, if I open it and it doesn't work, then I'm out $50. I got the last copy in the store, so I figured I'd grab it now and figure it out later - as long as I have the receipt, I can return it for 30 days.

Would (or should) I choose a lower FPS rate, or select minimum graphics under options or something, assuming the game is running too fast?
Old 12-23-2008   #6
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
Oh, sorry, didn't know about that part. Hmm, I'd return it then, but if you still want to play the game, investing on a better CPU and GFX card might be a good option.
Old 12-23-2008   #7
gowinsgo8803
Newbie Member

Quote:
Oh, sorry, didn't know about that part.
No worries. It sucks hard too - I have a laptop and desktop. The laptop is the one with the specs above - slower CPU and weaker GFX card (3 yrs old). The desktop has a Radeon 9000 and is fast, but the hard drive is only 40 GB (it's like 6 years old - when I got it, 12 GB drives were the highest ones being sold ), and I can't fit the 20 GB game on there. And unfortunately, the internet socket on the back is broken, so I can't get on the web and try the CanYouRunIt on that desktop. So even if I open it and it doesn't work on the laptop, there's no guarantee that it'll even work on the desktop.

I had been dying to play it - I tried it on the 360, and it was such a drastic improvement from GTA:SA and GTAC that it's almost incomprehensible. So I dunno, I might just return it and end up buying a PS3 or something and then get MGS4 with it or something.
Old 12-23-2008   #8
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
You can either purchase a new computer or buy a PS3/360. You either get mods and a bad port or you get guaranteed performance.

The exclusives for both 360 and PS3 are good, but the 3rd party titles are normally "better" on the 360 by varying degrees. If you enjoy multiplayer and voice comms, the 360 would be preferable. I would personally recommend purchasing a 360, unless your interest in titles sways towards PS3 exclusives and you want a BD player. I won't be interested in BD movies for a couple more years or so.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #9
gowinsgo8803
Newbie Member

I'm thinking hard about either the PS3 or the 360. I have the Wii, which, to my dismay, has fallen short of expectations. I purchased the system for $150 with the intention of having Zelda take over, seeing as the PS3 was $799.99 upon its release without MGS4. The new Zelda game in late 2009 might make the Wii passable, as might the rumoured UFC Unleashed game, but who knows.

I'm leaning towards the PS3 at the moment. I own a PS1, which I was thrilled with, since MGS1 was amazing. I did miss out on OoT for N64, which was my other option. I've played the 360 a few times and was unimpressed by how unnecessarily large the system is, as well as how shoe-like the controller still is from the original XBOX. My friends have had to purchase fans for the 360 on account of it overheating, which is a huge downfall. The 360 is also as loud as my fridge - seriously. The PS3 remains fairly unchanged from the PS2 - it has gotten bigger, but the controls remain fluid and familiar (as I'm sure they are between the original XBOX and 360). In Toronto, the systems are both going for $399.99, other than both being ridiculously overpriced, cost difference won't be a factor. IGN.com rated GTA IV a 10/10 for PS3, and with the addition of MGS4 being iconic from what my friends say, the PS3 has an advantage for me. The BD player is also key, since my family is in the process of changing all TVs to flatscreen plasmas and LCDs.

Is GTA IV worth the play to begin with? What about MGS4? Has anyone here had experiences with the 360/PS3?

In any event, I just wanted to get an idea about GTA IV on my laptop. It could very well work on my desktop, but my laptop remains my #1 computer, since I bring it back and forth from residences and do all my work is on that machine. I'll probably end up returning it, or even seeing if any of my friends have it so I can try installing it and playing it on mine without having to worry about returns (which, in hindsight, I probably should have done to begin with). So thank you to those who responded, your input is much appreciated.
Old 12-23-2008   #10
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm, well the PS3 as a console is large too. I own both and both have their good points and bad points. Both play GTA IV fine and online works great. You've played MGS1, that's good, but I would suggest playing MGS2 and 3 before MGS4 as the game is very story heavy and doesn't explain things for newcomers just kicks it off right away (Which I thought was good, it actually feels like it was made for the fans who already knew this stuff).
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #11
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
I've owned a 360 since roughly March. Against my own advice, I kept it in an enclosed (more like the back vent was close to my nightstand) and I got the RROD after 8 months. I won't deny it shouldn't have happened, but I'd be dishonest not to include this experience in my post. Best Buy warranty was a good thing. Because it happened before the first year, they replaced it without ending the purchased warranty (Y). Besides that, I don't regret owning one and would continue to choose it over the PS3.

Most games run at 720p, so owning a 1080p set won't benefit there. Movies, sure, but BD is still expensive. New DVDs look fantastic compared to older ones, which replacing some of them with BD copies wouldn't be so bad later down the line.

I don't think it's easy to judge which console you should purchase. You'll need experience with both to really say which you prefer, and the most you can do is hope your investment is worth it down the line. I wouldn't mind owning a PS3, but not for the price it's going for now. Reliable, yes, but I personally don't see many titles worth purchasing. Owning both PS3 and 360 would be beneficial for exclusives, but 3rd party titles are generally best on 360 (peformance, visuals, online). Not game breaking differences, but still there and worth a mention.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

P.S. GTA IV was rated 10/10 for both PS3 and 360. Bribery, I'm sure. The game is closer to 8.5-9.0 if you had an unbiased review.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #12
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
P.S. GTA IV was rated 10/10 for both PS3 and 360. Bribery, I'm sure. The game is closer to 8.5-9.0 if you had an unbiased review.
I would rate 10/10 too, the lowest it could go was 9.7/10 if you really disect the flaws and everything.

But I also had a 360 since March. Perfect console, I was actually surprised. I hated Windows a lot and so far 360 hasn't dissapointed me.
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #13
gowinsgo8803
Newbie Member

Quote:
Hmm, well the PS3 as a console is large too. I own both and both have their good points and bad points. Both play GTA IV fine and online works great. You've played MGS1, that's good, but I would suggest playing MGS2 and 3 before MGS4 as the game is very story heavy and doesn't explain things for newcomers just kicks it off right away (Which I thought was good, it actually feels like it was made for the fans who already knew this stuff).
Sorry, forgot to mention that I own MGS2: Substance, but I've yet to play Twin Snake/Snake Eater/Sons of Liberty, etc. I have been following the storylines for the most part, so I do have a background memory of what's happening.

Agreed though, the PS3 is rather large as well, but it's no 360. But I'm sure both are great. I've only played about a half-dozen games in 360, and have yet to use the PS3 personally. I'll see what happens in terms of pricing - before I had purchased the Wii (as I do before all system purchases), I look at the games available, and while I haven't gone searching in-depth, I always weigh Zelda vs. MGS as a foundation and go from there.

BTW, I turned on my PC, and for the first time in 3 years, the internet worked! The desktop with the broken internet socket somehow is working fine. I ran "CanYouRunIt", and unfortunately, GTA IV won't run on that either, so I'm going to have to return it and hope one of my buddies gets it for 360 or PS3 or something. I'll end up waiting to see if my family and I do end up going HD/LCD and stuff before deciding, but I'm leaning a bit towards the PS3. I'd also like to see how the new Zelda game turns out - if it's nice and dark like Twilight Princess, I might stick it out with the Wii. But if it turns out to be a kiddy piece of crap like Windwaker, then it's time to move on.
Old 12-24-2008   #14
GamerX5500

GamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished road
You have a crappy video card. It's a laptop. Most likely, no.

Consider buying a desktop for gaming and other media (videos, connecting it to your TV via HDMI to watch Blu-Ray).
GamerX5500 is offline   Reply With Quote