Old 12-11-2008   #46
RIPpo
Professional Dumbass

RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.
Well that's like the only church in Liberty City, and it's included in the game because it's a New York landmark, so I don't know if that really has anything to do with the story or the characters' nationalities And if it is a look at the characters' nationalities, then it may very well be a choice of Mallorie's - she is no doubt Hispanic, probably Mexican judging by the accent they gave her, and most Hispanic people are Catholic.
Old 12-11-2008   #47
mafioso1930

mafioso1930 is on a distinguished roadmafioso1930 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
I know I should let the discussion go, but there was a site which had his biography posted from R* or something. It said his father was Serbian and mother Croatian. Lets not go into Milica as a Serbian name, because it isn't just a Serbian name. I have a friend named Milan and although that's a common Serbian name, he's a Croat.
Well, Milan is very much Serbian name, i don't know, about 90% of people named Milan are Serbs, but let's not go into that.
What is matter that he is from ExYu altough he's not Slovenian or Macedonian.
My guess is that he's bosnian Serb.
mafioso1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #48
EuroDuardo
Let's play some GTA all nite, and party every day

EuroDuardo is on a distinguished roadEuroDuardo is on a distinguished roadEuroDuardo is on a distinguished roadEuroDuardo is on a distinguished roadEuroDuardo is on a distinguished road
Milan Bandić is from Bosnia. Montana knows who's that guy.
Old 12-12-2008   #49
.LiLe.
Buggati Boy

.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of
He's either Croatian or Serbian, NIKO BELLIC is not a Bosnian name, we Bosnians have Muslim based names, so Niko is prob. Croatian or Serbian, if he was Muhammad Belic then he'd be Bosnian.
Old 12-12-2008   #50
EuroDuardo
Let's play some GTA all nite, and party every day

EuroDuardo is on a distinguished roadEuroDuardo is on a distinguished roadEuroDuardo is on a distinguished roadEuroDuardo is on a distinguished roadEuroDuardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lile23 View Post
He's either Croatian or Serbian, NIKO BELLIC is not a Bosnian name, we Bosnians have Muslim based names, so Niko is prob. Croatian or Serbian, if he was Muhammad Belic then he'd be Bosnian.

He's defintively not Bosnian but since when he gets off the ship Roman says "Zdravo, buraceru" he's probably Serb 'cause I don't think that we say to someone in Croatia: Zdravo, burazeru. As in joke yes but to someone who's Croat you would go home with a fist trace in your face. Well I think we would.
Old 12-12-2008   #51
~Schwab
*smiles*

~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough~Schwab is a jewel in the rough
"Zdravo, beratseru" is "Hello, cousin" in many different languages, including Serbian and Russian (though Russian is obviously ruled out).
~Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #52
RIPpo
Professional Dumbass

RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.RIPpo is a God.
Actually that's not how you say it in Russian at all
Russian would be "Privyet kuzen" or "Zdravstvuitye kuzen"

edit: well i just looked up burazeru and can't even figure out what it means :p... in any case, zdravo isn't russian.

Also let me just note that in the game they mention Niko helped Bulgarin smuggle people into Italy. Croatia and Slovenia are the only former Yugoslav states that share a border with Italy, just putting that out there! But then why would a Croat say that his Serbian is not so good anymore (as Roman says near the beginning of the game)? Given the fact that he did partake in that business with Bulgarin, he probably spent time in Croatia anyway! When it comes down to it, he's just Yugoslavian... and I'm sure Rockstar left it ambiguous on purpose.

Edit: well I guess they could've smuggled people by boat, too. That would give Serbia and Montenegro a sea border with Italy. So whatever, it's just completely ambiguous then...
Old 12-12-2008   #53
Pablo Escarecrow Jr.
Veteran Member

Pablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escarecrow Jr. has a reputation beyond repute
This is like the 90s all over again.

Anyway, he's definetly from the former Yugoslavia, either a Serb or a Croat I guess. He has mentioned the Mediterranean some times and ofcourse the war. He can't be Bosnian or Albanian though, like Lile said, if he was Bosnian or Albanian he'd have an Islamic based name.

Hot Buttered Soul
Pablo Escarecrow Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #54
mafioso1930

mafioso1930 is on a distinguished roadmafioso1930 is on a distinguished road
Let's get it straight. People from Bosnia are not all muslims, maybe there are 50% of bosniaks (mainly muslims), 35% Serbs (orthodox) and 15% of Croats (catholics). You have Republic of Srpska inside Bosnia ( entity). Niko fought in war (obviously Serbian side).
"Zdravo burazeru". "Burazer (beratser)" is turkish word that means brother, as there are some turkish words in these languages (especially bosnian). No one said that he might be from Montengero which is also likely.

Last edited by mafioso1930; 12-12-2008 at 04:41 PM..
mafioso1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #55
RIPpo
Professional Dumbass

Yeah but where you're from doesn't dictate your ethnicity
Old 12-12-2008   #56
FG
CJ would be so proud

FG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappo View Post
Yeah but where you're from doesn't dictate your ethnicity
Glad someone said this, its true, my great uncle served in the French foriegn legion, he was Dutch...who wuda thought.
Old 12-12-2008   #57
Patrucci

Patrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud of
Well, it says on Wikipedia he grew up in Siberia, although Wiki doesn't mean shit.
Doesn't mean he is Siberian though.
________
YAMAHA GOLF CAR HISTORY

Last edited by Patrucci; 02-25-2011 at 09:08 PM..
Patrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #58
Antonio Montana

Antonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura aboutAntonio Montana has a spectacular aura about
Siberia, haha
Antonio Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #59
iKlipse

iKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond repute
He is Serbian, I understand a lot of the Serbian language and plus it pretty much confirms the fact that they are Serbian during the first conversation between Niko and Roman in the intro.

It is seen at 3:23 of this video:
iKlipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #60
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
iKlipse wins the thread, I can't believe people are actually still discussing this.
ska is offline   Reply With Quote