Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008   #1
Shotgun
Fucking Psycho

Shotgun is on a distinguished roadShotgun is on a distinguished road
Malaysian Consumer Group Calls for GTA Ban

After the murder of that taxi driver in Thailand, here we come:
Quote:
The head of a Malaysian consumer rights organization has called for a ban on Grand Theft Auto and similarly violent video games.

The move comes following the murder of a Bangkok cabbie last Saturday. Thai government officials were quick to link that killing to what they said was the 19-year-old suspect's Grand Theft Auto play.

In an op-ed for the Star Online, Mohamed Idris, president of the Consumers Association of Penang, writes:

"It was recently reported that the Thai authorities have banned a computer video game known as Grand Theft Auto... Violent video games and television programmes have previously been linked to expressions of violence and aggression in young viewers. It is time for the authorities to act.

If this particular video game is available in Malaysia, CAP calls on the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs to immediately halt its sales and ban this game. The Ministry should also warn the public and any stocks that have already been sold should be recalled.

CAP also calls on the Ministry to initiate immediate measures to weed out similar games and halt sales and also their use in video game arcades."

GP: It's very odd to see a consumer group demanding censorship. One might think that the CAP, which has the stated objective of giving a voice to the little people, would prefer that Malaysian consumers have choices in their entertainment.
Source: GamePolitics.com
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #2
TomFratelli
Sophisticated Member.

TomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enough
Well, they arent taking my copy, they cant make me!
Old 08-09-2008   #3
JRussell89
Dats da fact jack!

JRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enough
Wow, that is really amazing. I never thought there were governments as silly as the U.S. To rationalize that games that incorporate violence somehow can ultimately dictate a person's behavior is just plain stupid. It has been discussed and analyzed so many times that I'm tired of talking about it. There are many factors that contribute to a person engaging in violent bahavior. To blame a videogame is taking the easy way out without talking about the real root causes. I am sorry for the fans of GTA in Thailand. I didn't ever think that governments would go this far over a game.
JRussell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #4
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Malaysia... lol. Why does everything around me start to look gloom now? What's next? GTA Chinatown Wars banned in China? lol.
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote