Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2008   #31
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himuro View Post
It's not crap, but it IS a step back. How can you not see that?
Because I'm not negative and I can see the positives. Also, A step back from what? San Andreas? Once again, Rose tinted glasses.
Old 06-09-2008   #32
Himuro
These boots are made for walking

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
A step back from the past 3d games as a whole. The games used to emphasize exploration and freedom more so than relationships. This is entirely absent in IV since the missions are mostly scripted, lacking in variety and creativity. There is nothing creative like Expresso 2 Go or Sayonara Salvatore in GTAIV. These missions in III completely allowed the player 100% freedom with no tutorial or hand holding, and stomps the shit out of every mission in IV. In fact, IV's best missions are the more simple missions like the one where you date the gay guy from Love Meet. Those are the wacky, zany, creative missions you'd see in a ps2 gen GTA. Stuff like that rarely pops up in GTAIV.

It's hardly rose tinted, I just have an understanding of what ps2 GTA's did best and what GTAIV has entirely abandoned.
Old 06-09-2008   #33
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
*raises hand*

I agree with ash_735

big whoop, you're lacking being a paramedic etc

but the graphics are a thousand times better, multiplayer, euphoria, car damage, living beathing city etc!
Old 06-09-2008   #34
Himuro

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyy19 View Post
*raises hand*

I agree with ash_735

big whoop, you're lacking being a paramedic etc

but the graphics are a thousand times better, multiplayer, euphoria, car damage, living beathing city etc!

So the graphics are better, there's euphoria, and there's car damage...and there's a living breathing city. Big whoop. How does this add to the gameplay at all? You're basically admitting you prefer flash over substance and that you're shallow.

It's not even the lack of paramedics. If there's not paramedics then add more content so I don't care about the lack of paramedics. Give me rewards so I can actually care about the lack of content. GTA used to reward players for everything. Now, I mostly get some silly little Achievement.

I havne't been able to play multiplayer because MS has my account on hold because they're bastards who charge credit cards even when they are declined.
Old 06-09-2008   #35
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
erm... how does realism, and impoved graphics not add to the gameplay experience?
Old 06-09-2008   #36
Goon for Hire
Bored Poster
Newbie Member

Goon for Hire is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to mention shooting people IS ACTUALLY FUN.

The gameplay in GTA IV completely stomps the shit out of the previous GTA games, they've refined everything instead of just chucking in the same features(vigilante, paramedic, taxi misssions, driving school, gym, triathalon) as the previous ones. All of these things where boring and very sloppily made. The only thing I can think of that I really miss is the parachute, but that's no big deal. The next GTA games will add more features, more things to do, but they will polish them this time, like they did with the shooting, driving, story, characters, physics, detail and graphics in GTA IV.

EDIT: For the record I'll probably purchase Saint's Row 2, I love my crazy shit as much as the next guy.
I think we should stop comparing these games and respect them for what they are. They are really very different. GTA IV for the realism, characters, story, humor etc. whereas Saint's Row 2 will be good when pissed with a couple of mates, just fucking around doing completely retarded shit.

Last edited by Goon for Hire; 06-09-2008 at 08:22 PM..
Old 06-09-2008   #37
Comeback209

Comeback209 is on a distinguished roadComeback209 is on a distinguished roadComeback209 is on a distinguished road
Heres to all the people who think all the little half-ass'd features in SR2 are going to be full blown games inside of it!
Old 06-09-2008   #38
Himuro

How did realism add to GTA"s game experience? We ended up with less content, less options, less variety, less customization, less open ended mission structure in the name of "realism". What's hilarious is that this "realism" is entirely inconsistent. It's okay for Niko to ride a Faggio but not a BMX. It's okay for Niko to get inside an attack helicopter or use an rpg, but not use a flamethrower, chainsaw, and other varied weapons. It's realistic for Niko to fall 200 feet in the air, be able to avoid cops simply by driving a lil faster than them, even while in the air via helicopter, but it's totally out of Niko's character to have a more varied ward drobe, do Crazy Taxi-esque missions, or use an RC car to blow someone up.

My problem isn't the realism per se, but the misuse and inconsistent use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeback209 View Post
Heres to all the people who think all the little half-ass'd features in SR2 are going to be full blown games inside of it!
SR has more varied and fleshed out side content than any GTA. I suggest you give it a try. The two games compliment each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon for Hire View Post
Not to mention shooting people IS ACTUALLY FUN.

The gameplay in GTA IV completely stomps the shit out of the previous GTA games, they've refined everything instead of just chucking in the same features(vigilante, paramedic, taxi misssions, driving school, gym, triathalon) as the previous ones. All of these things where boring and very sloppily made. The only thing I can think of that I really miss is the parachute, but that's no big deal. The next GTA games will add more features, more things to do, but they will polish them this time, like they did with the shooting, driving, story, characters, physics and graphics.
Because shooting wasn't in past GTA games and because stripping features is preferable to evolving them, something every other game series does. If any other game series stripped the amount of content that GTAIV did, they'd get so much shit. But for some reason it's fine when it's GTA.

Last edited by Himuro; 06-09-2008 at 08:16 PM..
Old 06-09-2008   #39
Skillet
I'm awesome and I fuck dolphins

Skillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyy19 View Post
erm... how does realism, and impoved graphics not add to the gameplay experience?
Factors such as realism and visual eye-candy would add to the gameplay if it were accompanied by a slew of activities and events to partake in. While the visual grandeur of Liberty City in GTA IV is quite impressive, it is still flawed by a feeling of emptiness within the world. Nonetheless, it doesn't help the inconvenient and controversial fact that the game, at its core, is inferior gameplay wise to its predecessors and other recent sandbox genre titles.
Old 06-09-2008   #40
the_sextein

the_sextein is on a distinguished roadthe_sextein is on a distinguished roadthe_sextein is on a distinguished road
GTA SA had basically taken the same game engine with the same character models and cars for the 3rd time in a row. It's not hard to make 20 cars and make 50 outfits for the PS2 and then spend time adding in things like BMX bikes and what not because everything else was already done the first two times they released it. In GTA 4 they had to make all of the cars and characters and everything inlcuding the engine itself from scratch. Also consideer that most of these options and deep creative side activities from past GTA's were actually pretty hollow and many of them were not even worth doing. Why have 100 outfits when most of them look stupid and people are only going to use 4 of them the entire game?

Why have 10 differant vehicle missions that are all the same thing? Go from one point on the map to another in a certain time limit. Pimping, Parametic, Taxi, fire fighter, it's all the same thing. Whats the point in working out? Is their some kind of challenge to working out? Nope it was just another option to give the game a feeling of variety where there was none. Flying a jet pack out of area 53? sounds retarded and very unlike GTA to me. All in all I think GTA 4 refined the gameplay for everything that worked and cut out the stuff that was repetative or rotten while adding in new things that actually enhance the way the game interacts with the player like the cell phone for example. What GTA 4 does it does really well and to be honest alot of the things that have been cut out were totally pointless in a gameplay sense to begin with. GTA 3 and GTA 4 have alot in commen when it comes to break through technology and new controls mixed with the same gameplay variety.

I never expected GTA 4 to have more cars and odd ball side missions because it is the first game to be done on this engine. But I have noticed that an intentional effort was put into making the game seem a little more realistic as a whole. Realism isn't everyone's bag so it's not going to please everyone. Like the Taxi and police missions were handled in a more down to earth mannor. I think the dating aspect as lame as it may sound was actually pretty cool and something I wouldn't lable as GTAish either. In the end I think they are on to something with the whole character interaction thing. It was done well but it could be improved much more.

GTA 4 is a great game and the physics, lighting, bump mapping, ect... are all technical features that allow the game to be more immersive and tense. I would agree that the missions feel dry sometimes but I have felt that way since Vice City was realeased. I felt that the majority of the missions in SA just felt off or shallow. Some of them were multifaceted but they never clicked with me. GTA 4 isn't much differant when it comes to the missions but the realism of the game engine has added a bit more of a movie like feel to the missions that has helped me enjoy them more and the new controls have added a little more debth and challenge to the missions overall.

Saint' s row 2 is comming to the PC and I think I will pick it up when it comes out. Considering this will be the second game using that engine I expect a bit more variety but I doubt it will have the polish that GTA 4 had. Also as was mentioned earlier, most of the crazy stuff you can do in Saints row is just another play on things that GTA has done in the past. I don't consider Saints Row to be a break through title but it is still cool and worth playing and considering they have had their game engine out longer than Rockstar it gives them a distinct advantage for adding new features. Hopefully it won't dissapoint. Overall I don't feel that GTA 4 was a dissapointment. I didn't like the ending but it was done well and was worth the price of admission.

Last edited by the_sextein; 06-09-2008 at 10:31 PM..
Old 06-10-2008   #41
Ænemy
Digital/Concept Artist

Ænemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enough
The attempt, I appreciate.

Saint's Row still will probably kick ass in the way of fun/silly gameplay.
Old 06-10-2008   #42
Johnny-Z

Johnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to behold
I say that the GTA fan that made that video is one of the true GTA fans. Saints row does a good job at blatently copying over GTA games because look at the first Saints Row game, doesen't anyone here find it irronic that it came out very soon after San Andreas and it had pretty much the same theme of San andreas?
Old 06-10-2008   #43
smellthemagic
Newbie Member

smellthemagic is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow!! Great debate here.

I’ve played all the GTA titles and I really like GTA 4. I haven't gotten board of the game at all, but I think Himuro has made some excellent points here and that Ash is in a bit of denial.

1. All the taxi stuff IS a bummer: The problem is the distance between safe houses. You go through a large chunk of the game with basically just the safe house in Bohan. Driving to missions and dates, etc. took so much time I started using the taxi to get everywhere. That was really sad because just simple driving was one of my favorite parts of GTA.

2. The relationship stuff got overwhelming: At first I really liked the idea of the relationships. There were times in the game though when the cell phone was ringing constantly. Roman, and Brucie and Packie were all giving me grief for not calling and it made me actually feel guilty!! Video games should be an escape from real life. Once it feels like the same kind of hassle of your job, I think some thing has gone wrong. Rockstar needs to scale down the neediness of the supporting cast.

Himuro, in terms of your charge of “hand holding” and lack of freedom of GTA 4, I completely agree, but I feel like that change happened back in Vice City. That’s one really cool thing about GTA III is that there are multiple ways to do missions and most missions have a non-cheat way to cheat the mission like blowing up the enemies getaway car. Maybe San Andreas and GTA 4 have the most scripted missions though. You wonder if on some level Rockstar wishes they were making movies. I always find it annoying when the controls are pulled away for some long, drawn out “cinematic” scene.

In terms of the realism VS mayhem, I think it’s hard to say. San Andreas was a very different beast than the rest. If you compare GTA 4 with GTA 3 or Vice City, is it really that limited? Personally, I found the ambulance missions to be the thing I dreaded most in getting 100%, I was glad to see that and the fire trucks gone. Himuro again made a good point though; it was nice in the previous titles to get some reward for completing side-missions. You felt like you were building towards 100%.

I disagree that the visuals are nothing but fluff though. I mean, it IS a video game. Graphics count for a lot. And it’s more than eye-candy; it’s the way Rockstar creates a fully immersive world. GTA 4 has pushed that further than any of the other titles. The sound design of the pedestrians and ambient noises are a HUGE leap forward (playing the game in surround sound, hearing someone sneak up on you, is unreal). The humor and satire of American culture in the game is as razor-sharp as ever. So often overlooked, I think GTA is on par with The Simpsons (albeit from a VERY different angle) in terms of observations of American culture. Lazlo and Dan H are geniuses. Finally, I won’t even get into the Euphoria engine stuff, but has anyone else been totally blown away with the dynamic changes in light and shadow?

ONE THING TO TRY: Go to a section of Algonquin with dense buildings right before sunset. Stand in one place and just watch the sun pass overhead. Watch the way the shadows actually move and grow along the ground as the sun sets. Watch the way the light quality changes as the day ends. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Old 06-10-2008   #44
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
I like the way the above poster says I'm in denial because I like the game! This forum is great, apparently if you like GTA IV then you're a fucking idiot. Just for the record, if you use the Taxi's too much, your problem, I always drive between safe houses after missions. Relationships, I agree, they are annoying, I get them to 100% and never go out with them again, just do the damn trick, agree to meet them and cancel, you lose nothing.
Old 06-10-2008   #45
smellthemagic
Newbie Member

smellthemagic is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, I completely love GTA 4. That being said, I think there's been some really good criticism of the game here. I said that because you seem to disagree with any criticism, accusing people of just living in the past.

I AM bummed the way it seems like so many people are turning on Rockstar and GTA. But considering the MASSIVE success and sales the game has had, it seems like the backlash is a natural trend (whether or not it's actually justified).

The nice thing is that with the success, we're guaranteed more GTA titles. I'm confident the series will get better and better.

I should also say, I have ZERO interest in playing Saints Row 2. Whether it be that or the True Crime series, it's sad how little effort the GTA copy cats put into making their games distinct. "F" for effort....

Last edited by smellthemagic; 06-10-2008 at 01:58 AM..
Closed Thread