Old 05-02-2008   #1
MikeInSCruz81
Newbie Member

MikeInSCruz81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Street Names

Hey all, I've been checking out this site for the past couple months, eagerly awaiting GTA IV. Now I have it and I'm loving it. I've checked this site and it's forums every day, but never felt compelled to join until today, because I wanted to share this. First off, I've searched these boards as best as I could to find something related to what I wanted to share. But if there already is a thread on this matter, and I missed it, go ahead and close/move the thread, etc.

While checking out the map that came with GTAIV, I noticed that there is a certain theme that the street names share in the boroughs in which they run. I've only been able to recognize a couple of them... was hoping that others could add to this so we can complete it.

Broker
Streets running North/South : Indians (Native Americans)
Streets running East/West: Cowboys

Dukes
Streets running North/South : ? (I'm guessing either famous forts or ships?)
Streets running East/West: ? (Maybe famous military figures, like Generals?)

Bohan
Streets running North/South : Prisons
Streets running East/West: ? (Tools?)

Algonquin
Streets running North/South : ? (Cities or ships?)
Streets running East/West: Precious Metals / Stones

Alderney
Streets running North/South : ? (No clue lol)
Streets running East/West: ? (Cult Leaders?)

Anyone else notice this? Feel free to add / correct / redirect.
MikeInSCruz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #2
.:nemesis:.
Wicked Member

.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all
You just might be onto something there bud, nice find.
.:nemesis:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #3
dizzleman

dizzleman is on a distinguished roaddizzleman is on a distinguished roaddizzleman is on a distinguished roaddizzleman is on a distinguished roaddizzleman is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forums...im gonna have to check this out whn i play tomorrow....nice!!

BOOM!!
Thanks rellimjoe
dizzleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #4
FG
CJ would be so proud

FG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to behold
I was not surprized when I saw this thread, I noted it aswell. Thanks for posting it.
Old 05-02-2008   #5
zombienm
Ex-Dead Mod

zombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to behold
My girlfriend pointed out all the precious metals streets in Algonquin, before then I hadn't even noticed each street had a name.
Old 05-02-2008   #6
FG
CJ would be so proud

FG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to behold
^ you know I had that same thing happen, my girl is doing the same thing as she did in SA...calling out the street names, an places as we move through the cityscape. Mostly in SA we just found things, streets ,an places that re-minded us of LA

Last edited by FG; 05-02-2008 at 08:35 AM..
FG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #7
Flapjaw
Newbie Member

Flapjaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow that cowboys and indians thing is cool
Flapjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #8
assholay
Newbie Member

assholay is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't necessarily say they're all "cowboys", legendary figures of the old west is a more accurate description. Some were outlaws, some were lawmen, others were just famous. The other streets in broker are indeed indian tribes.

In Dukes, the streets running north-south seem to be named mostly after famous battles. Not sure exactly how the others are related.

The streets in Bohan not named after prisons are named after break dancing moves.

East-west streets in Algonquin are minerals. The north-south streets seem to be mostly city names, many of which are U.S. state capitals.

In northern Alderney, the streets are named after mountain ranges. This doesn't follow a pattern based on the direction of the street. South of that, cult leaders. Haven't figured out the pattern with the streets directly south of that.

In southern Alderney, starting at Hardtack Ave. and going south, all the streets are named after series of American nuclear weapons tests. Streets that also fit this pattern are Bowline in northern Alderney, and Ivy, Union, Castle and Galveston in Algonquin (though Galveston also fits the city name pattern).
assholay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #9
ElephantGuts
Fleet Admiral of my own life

ElephantGuts is on a distinguished roadElephantGuts is on a distinguished road
sounds interesting, ill have to look into this.

but what about asparagus and onion streets in bohan (maybe it was dukes, im not sure)?
Old 05-06-2008   #10
Pablo Escobar Jr.
Veteran Member

Pablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInSCruz81 View Post
Bohan
Streets running North/South : Prisons
Streets running East/West: ? (Tools?)
Not tools, but breakdance moves. You know, Bohan being the Bronx and all, birthplace of hiphop.
The North/South streets are prisons, though. I guess this is a little joke as 9/10 rappers spends half of their life in prison.

Hot Buttered Soul
Pablo Escobar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #11
calumn
fingerless glove

calumn has a little shameless behaviour in the past
quite amazing...
im suprised anyone even found this, and after such a short period of time.
well done, be proud!

- Calumn
Old 05-21-2008   #12
ElephantGuts
Fleet Admiral of my own life

ElephantGuts is on a distinguished roadElephantGuts is on a distinguished road
even though noone is on this thread anymore, i thought id point out that two streets in alderney (not sure what direction they ran) were names of scientists (Edison and Farnsworth)