Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Troubleshooting & Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008   #1
odwyer1980
Amateur Member

odwyer1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb How do I optimise the graphics for the game?

I have bought a new PC and £500 LCD TV - being a PC man, Iím a little disappointed with the graphics.

Is there something I have not done right? When playing the game the edges of various things buildings arenít smooth or sharp enough. Itís like playing on average settings on a PC.

I only set up the system yesterday and Iím a complete PS3 newbie.

Or have I go unrealistic expectations when comparing it to a PC. Should the graphics be better then I make out? Has it go something do with the TV?

Is there something I have to change or alter?

Thanks for help with any of this newbie questions.
odwyer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #2
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Are you using a component/HDMI/DVI/VGA cable or a composite/s-video cable?

If you're using one of the first four, make sure you have the highest output resolution chosen on your PS3 that your TV supports. I'm not sure where that option is located specifically; it's likely grouped with other system settings under things like "Display."

If you're using a composite/s-video cable, you will need to purchase whichever of the first four that your TV supports, unfortunately.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #3
odwyer1980
Amateur Member

Hi,

I have a 37 inch state of the art Samsung HD TV, so I was hoping the graphics would be as described by others. So far I'm not getting that photogenic look or anything near. Worse then Vice City and San Andreas on my PC in fact.

Should this be the case?

I'm a complete newbie at this, but in the 'video output setting' on the playstation menu, it says "Current output Resolution 576i"

Has this anything to do with the basic graphics?

Should this be increased somehow?

When I click on this it says HDMI, Component D Terminal, composite S VIDEO, AV multi scart.

It gives these 4 options.

When I try clicking on a few, the screen goes blank and returns to the page.

In the back on my TV the playstation is connected via the scart.

Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2008   #4
odwyer1980
Amateur Member

The AV MULTI Scart option only givers the option of standard (which is already ticked) and 576. When i click 576 the screen goes blue then returns. Obviously hasn't worked whatever it tried to do.
Old 05-09-2008   #5
raikkonen

raikkonen is infamous around these partsraikkonen is infamous around these partsraikkonen is infamous around these partsraikkonen is infamous around these parts
buy an HDMI cord for PS3, any brand will do for only $5 or more
raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #6
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
576i is standard definition, not high definition, that's why it doesn't look so great. It sounds like your using the cable out of the box which is standard definition only. As mentioned above you'll need the right cable, one of the first four Olin mentioned. I'd recommend HDMI or component, provided your TV accepts them (and if it's recent then it most likely will).
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #7
odwyer1980
Amateur Member

Sounds like the solution. Cheers guys!
Old 05-09-2008   #8
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by odwyer1980 View Post
Hi,

I have a 37 inch state of the art Samsung HD TV, so I was hoping the graphics would be as described by others. So far I'm not getting that photogenic look or anything near. Worse then Vice City and San Andreas on my PC in fact.

Should this be the case?

I'm a complete newbie at this, but in the 'video output setting' on the playstation menu, it says "Current output Resolution 576i"

Has this anything to do with the basic graphics?

Should this be increased somehow?

When I click on this it says HDMI, Component D Terminal, composite S VIDEO, AV multi scart.

It gives these 4 options.

When I try clicking on a few, the screen goes blank and returns to the page.

In the back on my TV the playstation is connected via the scart.

Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Thanks
Buy a HDMI Cable, connect it up and set your PS3 to 720p, your problem is that you're using a Scart cable which only transfers SD 576i, trust me, the jump from that to 720p will make the game look a whole lot better.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #9
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Is 720p better than 1080p even if my TV supports 1080p? Just for this game I mean.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #10
Jon P
Free your mind up

Jon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud of
Gaming is usually better in 720
Old 05-09-2008   #11
kingcars

kingcars is an unknown quantity at this point
@OP: I'm also playing on a computer monitor (Samsung 216BW 22in widescreen) and I have an HDMI -> DVI adapter for my PS3 and I hook my DVI cable into that. Works like a charm.
kingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #12
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
Is 720p better than 1080p even if my TV supports 1080p? Just for this game I mean.
Since the 1080p support in GTA IV is just upscaling rather than true 1080p it's probably worth sticking with 720p, although I haven't seen it in 1080p myself.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #13
scott
....whuuuut?

scott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_86 View Post
Since the 1080p support in GTA IV is just upscaling rather than true 1080p it's probably worth sticking with 720p, although I haven't seen it in 1080p myself.
Looks goooood on my LG.