Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008   #1
Masterjts

Masterjts is an unknown quantity at this point
*Spoiler* New Physics Engine: Step Sideways.

I love the new physics engine. With that said I believe it is more of a step sideways from San Andreas than it is a step forwards. The new physics engine makes standing on a moving vehicle impossible. Take the tug boat for example. If you are not driving the boat you are being slowly dragged off the back of it. What is the point of having a large boat like that if you can only move on it while it is stationary?

I believe that many of the special vehicles from San Andreas were removed because they either couldnt get them to work properly in the new physics engine or they didnt have the time to code them for the engine. (with my opinion being the first one.)

I hope they correct this with a multiplayer add on featuring some of the classic vehicles we all know and love like:

Bulldozer
Dumptruck
Flatbed truck (for loading cars)
Skylift Helicopter
Apache Helicopter
Sea Helicopter
Functional forklift
Functional Tractor w/ Trailer
Tank
Swat APC

Though I doubt that any of those will make their way into the game. Maybe the PC version as a mod but doubtful as DLC for XBL or PSN. I know the game has been out less than a week but all of these vehicles were in previous games. Excluding the Apache Helicopter and the tank they all would fit in the environment too. So their exclusion is probably because of the physics engine used in the game. I cant help but think that their loss is a sidestep for the series as far as an open sandbox environment goes.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game and the new physics engine but I lament the loss of my friends.

Last edited by Masterjts; 05-05-2008 at 11:49 AM..
Masterjts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #2
X-reS
Looks better in real life.

X-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I haven't really tried staying inside of a truck or anything. Maybe the beds door will actually keep you in this time around, instead of you just sliding over it.
Old 05-05-2008   #3
ChiTheDesigner
First-hour Fanatic

ChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enough
Dude, the forklift is in there.
So is a flatbed truck. And a machine gun helictoper. (No apache, but still)

ChiTheDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #4
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTheDesigner View Post
Dude, the forklift is in there.
So is a flatbed truck. And a machine gun helictoper. (No apache, but still)
i thought that too.. but is it functional? i didnt check when i came across one
Old 05-05-2008   #5
Offended_by_Everything
Social Justice Warrior

Offended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond repute
In my opinion, the whole not being able to stand on a moving object is a small price to pay for how much more satisfying vehicular manslaughter and that sort of stuff is with the new physics engine.
Old 05-05-2008   #6
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Ghost ride the whip, ghost ride the whip.

I don't think it's very easy to stand on top of a car, realistically.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #7
Trekker
Newbie Member

Trekker is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought it hilarious when I tried to car surf - he beeped for a while, then drove off, then I fumbled off the back and fell into the path of the car behind.

What I don't get yet is how to jack a boat. I swim up to it, grab on, haul myself up, then instantly fall back into the water. Then wait ages for the next boat.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #8
baleent
Banned
Banned

baleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished road
Today, I decided to push peds on the subway tracks. It was fun, but the train went to slow, so I decided to piss off a few of them and get them to follow me down the track. They follow a ways and I see the train coming, so I get out of the way at the last second and watch as 3 peds get annihilated. One is launched straight forward and into an apt building, two others are launched straight up into the air, and one racks himself perfectly on the railing.

It was beautiful.
baleent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #9
Masterjts

Masterjts is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not saying that it isnt a fair trade off but it also isnt exactly a step in the forward direction. They traded off equal bits IMHO and while the game is equally good because of it, that also means it isnt better. It is just different. That is my opinion though. I am sure there are plenty of people who thing the game is much better without those bits or they think that the physics make the game more than the loss of those bits.

To each his own I guess.
Masterjts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #10
jayuk2

jayuk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I find it the most annoying online. When im trying to just walk a little bit and he gets all excited and walks off buildings.

Also when you get stuck and it becomes late reacting.
jayuk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #11
BiggerThanJesus
Amazing
Newbie Member

BiggerThanJesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Guess i'm one of the few that thinks this new physics shit is a mile ahead of San Andreas. I love it.