Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Troubleshooting & Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008   #1
Jomolungma
Amateur Member

Jomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished road
Question re: DLC and "pop-in"

I don't want to start a PS3 vs. 360 argument here - I think this is a legit question. Many of the reviews I've read say that load times and graphics work a touch better on the PS3 because it has an HD install. Now, we know that regular 360 games don't have HD installs because not everyone has an HD.

HOWEVER, don't you have to have an HD to get DLC? And doesn't DLC store on the HD and run from the HD? (I'm not entirely sure on that, so please correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case, is there a chance that the load times and graphical issues that are on the release version of the game on the 360 might disappear when the DLC comes?

For instance, if the DLC includes a new geographical area, it would stand to reason that all the graphical assets for that area would be stored on the HD as part of the DLC. So maybe those graphics would actually load faster, reducing pop-in, etc., because they are coming off the HD?

I dunno - it just seems like any technical advantage the PS3 is showing is a result of the HD install. If DLC requires an HD install, then maybe it will solve this problem on the 360 and make the games technically identical. Anyone?

Jomolungma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #2
PulpzillA
Amateur Member

PulpzillA is an unknown quantity at this point
good point
PulpzillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #3
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomolungma View Post
HOWEVER, don't you have to have an HD to get DLC? And doesn't DLC store on the HD and run from the HD? (I'm not entirely sure on that, so please correct me if I'm wrong). If that is the case, is there a chance that the load times and graphical issues that are on the release version of the game on the 360 might disappear when the DLC comes?
I think the answer is yes, you'll need a HDD for the DLC. As for new areas, I think Rockstar has been hinting that it won't be new areas, but new stories, new cars and other new additions like that. Will the graphical issues disappear? Maybe, but remember, they're so slight that you probably won't even notice them in the first place.
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #4
rean2

rean2 is on a distinguished roadrean2 is on a distinguished road
well that would be the DLC itself, so it wouldn't install anything to help load the original map
rean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #5
PulpzillA
Amateur Member

if the install is only 3500kb then why cant we get that on the xbox? even people that dont have a HDD can easily fit that on a memory card.
Old 04-27-2008   #6
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
3500MB not KB
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #7
ktr

ktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished road
From all I know, the DLC are missions packs (according to Lazlow, and few interviews with the Housers), so in other words, its just scripts and code (with new audio and few new models). But the rest is from the original released. And yes, you do need a HDD to download the mission packs.
ktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #8
rean2

rean2 is on a distinguished roadrean2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
3500MB not KB
for pple who like to c that in GB, thats 3.5 gbs
rean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #9
PulpzillA
Amateur Member

well i think there should be an option to install i mean what harm could that do? people that bought the premium version and paid the extra money should be able to use the HDD to its fullest extent
Old 04-27-2008   #10
Jomolungma
Amateur Member

Jomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished road
I agree there should be an option to install. If R* already has written code for the game to run from the HDD on the PS3, I'm sure it could figure out how to do it from the HDD on the 360. Indeed, it will have to for the DLC. Maybe MSFT will move in that direction soon - R* execs have said that it had issues with the 360's storage solution(s) and that they had conversations with MSFT about that and MSFT understood. So maybe there is hope on the horizon.

Old 04-27-2008   #11
Shadow Conception

Shadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud of
DLC's not gonna install the entire game on the drive. Just the new expansion content.
Shadow Conception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #12
Jomolungma
Amateur Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Conception View Post
DLC's not gonna install the entire game on the drive. Just the new expansion content.
Right - so I was thinking that maybe that new content would actually perform better graphically than the original game, which needs to still stream from the disk.

Old 04-27-2008   #13
ktr

ktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished road
I think what stopped R* from doing install for the 360 was M$'s ego.

Microsoft did do a small media push...blasting about how the 360 did not need the install.
ktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #14
Jomolungma
Amateur Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktr View Post
I think what stopped R* from doing install for the 360 was M$'s ego.

Microsoft did do a small media push...blasting about how the 360 did not need the install.
If that was really all it was, MSFT needs to grow the F up and remember who they work for - the gamer! I really hope that wasn't it.

Old 04-28-2008   #15
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomolungma View Post
If that was really all it was, MSFT needs to grow the F up and remember who they work for - the gamer! I really hope that wasn't it.
Well that, I'm sure, but also the fact that there are many 360 owners who do not have a console that has an HDD.

Can 360 owners pick up a third party HDD, or does it have to be a specifically 360/Mircosoft one?
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote