Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2008   #16
MBR
Newbie Member

MBR is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasonedone View Post
From prior experiences, the achievement points will show up on their gamer score on release date, therefore being recognized on release date.

The only thing that they will notice on Tuesday is that the time of their achievements were unlocked will not be recorded.

It will all count up on Tuesday.
True. MS and R* are blocking the achievements on Xbox.com so that they aren't leaked to the internet. On Monday or Tuesday, they will make the persons achievements viewable on Xbox.com. If you have a friend with GTA on their gamertag, go to "Compare Games", then hit GTAIV, then you can view their achievements/ the games achievements. To conclude, MS can not ban you for playing a pre-release copy of GTAIV, only if they catch you playing a pirated copy.
MBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #17
Jomolungma
Amateur Member

Jomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasonedone View Post
From prior experiences, the achievement points will show up on their gamer score on release date, therefore being recognized on release date.

The only thing that they will notice on Tuesday is that the time of their achievements were unlocked will not be recorded.

It will all count up on Tuesday.
Then that presents an issue for Social Club, doesn't it? If Social Club can only track your progress through your Gamertag or PSN ID, and both of those on 4/29 will recognize any and all achievements you got before 4/29, then how will R* make sure those who got the jump early won't have an unfair lead on various leaderboards? The only thing I can think of is that they will somehow scan the Gamertag or PSN ID and only recognize achievements that have an "acquired" date of 4/29 or later, but then can't you just change the clock on the console? (not sure on that - anyone know?) Also, if you complete 99.9% of the game before 4/29, and complete the last .1% at 12:01am on 4/29, will you be the first member of the 100% club? Or will you have to start from 0% as of 4/29? If that's the case, anyone who has played the game on a Gamertag or PSN ID would seemingly have to start completely over on a DIFFERENT Gamertag or PSN ID in order to get the 100% credit.

I dunno - I'm just very curious to see how this pans out because R* had to have known the game would leak early, so I'm assuming they have some way of accounting for this in Social Club. Yet they have remained pretty mum on the whole deal.

Jomolungma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #18
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Is it worth the risk though?

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #19
Jomolungma
Amateur Member

Jomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBR View Post
True. MS and R* are blocking the achievements on Xbox.com so that they aren't leaked to the internet. On Monday or Tuesday, they will make the persons achievements viewable on Xbox.com. If you have a friend with GTA on their gamertag, go to "Compare Games", then hit GTAIV, then you can view their achievements/ the games achievements. To conclude, MS can not ban you for playing a pre-release copy of GTAIV, only if they catch you playing a pirated copy.
Yeah, just to clarify - my whole point with this thread was not whether MSFT will ban folks. I don't know how they could given that many have gotten their games legally, just early. My focus with the thread was how achievements will be reflected and how that will affect Gamerscore and Social Club leaderboards.

Jomolungma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #20
MBR
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomolungma View Post
Then that presents an issue for Social Club, doesn't it? If Social Club can only track your progress through your Gamertag or PSN ID, and both of those on 4/29 will recognize any and all achievements you got before 4/29, then how will R* make sure those who got the jump early won't have an unfair lead on various leaderboards? The only thing I can think of is that they will somehow scan the Gamertag or PSN ID and only recognize achievements that have an "acquired" date of 4/29 or later, but then can't you just change the clock on the console? (not sure on that - anyone know?) Also, if you complete 99.9% of the game before 4/29, and complete the last .1% at 12:01am on 4/29, will you be the first member of the 100% club? Or will you have to start from 0% as of 4/29? If that's the case, anyone who has played the game on a Gamertag or PSN ID would seemingly have to start completely over on a DIFFERENT Gamertag or PSN ID in order to get the 100% credit.

I dunno - I'm just very curious to see how this pans out because R* had to have known the game would leak early, so I'm assuming they have some way of accounting for this in Social Club. Yet they have remained pretty mum on the whole deal.
R* said that they would not begin tracking in-game stats till the 29th, didn't they?
Old 04-26-2008   #21
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
I wish R* & M$ would just come out and confirm whether or not legal copies received early will be punished or not. I know they know that stores have sold early and it shouldn't be the players' fault if they want to play their brilliant game early, they must understand this surely. So why not just say, "OK every legal copy has a specific ID burnt in and if it's a legit bought copy, then you can play it without getting banned, but MP won't be available until Tuesday"

At least then, I know I can get my copy on Monday, unplug Live and play Single Player without any worry of losing out on the eagerly awaited Multi Player.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #22
thedark1
Newbie Member

thedark1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by the punisher View Post
That's true Neil, but they did it with Halo 3. Why not do it again?
The main reason they did this with H3 was because ppl were sharing thier alpha and betas and crap. I know plenty of ppl that played H3 before retail date and are still not banned. There were some underlining circumstances to those H3 bannings.

The only thing I can see R* or MS doing for early player is preventing them from being on the GTA leaderboards. I don't think they will ban ppl from live because they might have retail copies. It's pretty dumb for any company to expect someone to not use a product if it is purchased or legally owned before the actual release. I got the game on friday (I live in the midwest, IA to be exact.) The place I got it is from a small drugstore turned small retail chain. It's called **mida (I don't want to give the whole name out since I don't want to get the store in trouble for selling the game to me early.) Those that live in the area will probably know what store I am talking about .
thedark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #23
Doric

Doric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished road
just like with Halo 3, your achievements dont show on the site, but when its released they will appear.
Doric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #24
MBR
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
I wish R* & M$ would just come out and confirm whether or not legal copies received early will be punished or not. I know they know that stores have sold early and it shouldn't be the players' fault if they want to play their brilliant game early, they must understand this surely. So why not just say, "OK every legal copy has a specific ID burnt in and if it's a legit bought copy, then you can play it without getting banned, but MP won't be available until Tuesday"

At least then, I know I can get my copy on Monday, unplug Live and play Single Player without any worry of losing out on the eagerly awaited Multi Player.
For the millionth time.... You will not get banned for playing GTAIV early... My friend has had his copy since Wednesday and has been playing on live since then... In the CoC and ToU it never states that you can be banned for playing a pre-release, hard copy of a game. Happy?