Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2008   #1
odwyer1980
Amateur Member

odwyer1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Taking the plunge - Buying a PS3 with GTA 4

After seeing all these screens and videos, it was too hard to refuse.

I'm a PC user and cannot wait a year for this game. I live in the UK, does this deal look decent price wise?

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStatio...V/Product.html

I guess I will lose about 3 months of my life, which is not good being a 28 year old, but hey, it has to be done.

:hitler:
Old 04-26-2008   #2
cjsbarber

cjsbarber can only hope to improve
get a £150 xbox if your worried about price, u get DLC to top it off
Old 04-26-2008   #3
JMR
I'm shot in the head!

JMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond reputeJMR has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know much about US -> UK currency, but that seems like a great deal considering that it's only £10 more than a PS3 by itself.
Old 04-26-2008   #4
Trumpormonkey
Drunk Roman
Newbie Member

Trumpormonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
I don't know much about US -> UK currency, but that seems like a great deal considering that it's only 10 more than a PS3 by itself.
It's $467 USD, so I reckon that's a good price, is the shipping free though?
Old 04-26-2008   #5
dillinja

dillinja is on a distinguished roaddillinja is on a distinguished roaddillinja is on a distinguished road
Yeh man thas a gd offer do it. Five out of seven of my friends who have xboxs have ones which scratch discs, same with mine. I'm glad I won it and didnt pay for it. get the ps3.
Old 04-26-2008   #6
Neil

Neil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud of
Save yourself £100:

Get this instead.
Old 04-26-2008   #7
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
yeah the PS3 with GTAIV is a good deal, esoecially from play... free shipping.

and by the way according to recent news, you wouldent be waiting a year for GTAIV on PC, you would be waiting forever.

seeing as people are trying to force a 360 on to you, take a look at this from IGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNs Latest Review
For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html (bottom of Page 5)

Last edited by Lukeyy19; 04-26-2008 at 05:00 AM..
Old 04-26-2008   #8
PulpzillA
Amateur Member

PulpzillA is an unknown quantity at this point
first review to mention that hmmmm.
Old 04-26-2008   #9
Neil

Neil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud of
If you have any interest in online play though, get the Xbox 360 version. Pretty much everyone online has a headset, which makes a huge difference. I think communication in this game is going to be something very important.

There isn't really an "official" PS3 headset and they certainly don't bundle them with consoles, so no one really uses voice chat on PS3. It's a big disappointment really. Also remember there are many millions more users of Xbox Live than there are of PlayStation Network, although Xbox Live will cost you £39.99 per year. You get a month's free trial in the box with GTA IV.
Old 04-26-2008   #10
Sheep Shagger
Newbie Member

Sheep Shagger is on a distinguished roadSheep Shagger is on a distinguished road
I'm with Neil on this 100%. If you're primarily a SP kind of guy, you get exclusive episodic content this fall to expand the "campaign". As for MP, there is nothing better than being able to communicate with your team (friends) and really bring things together.

How pointless would Free Roam mode be if you couldn't talk to the people you were running around the city with?

As far as the graphical differences, unless you plan to buy both systems and set them up side by side running both versions at the same time - I don't think you'll notice a thing.
Old 04-26-2008   #11
yimpat
Registered Loser

yimpat is on a distinguished roadyimpat is on a distinguished road
yeh i'm gettin the 360 version.tbh i never got round to botherin payin for live i got a month's free trial wen i got it and i did really like it but i just never bothered buyin it. But yeh i can imagine that the experience wuld b kinda crap without a headset cause it really immerses you into the game.I think after this games out im def gonna get round to payin for live cuz this looks very promising!
Old 04-26-2008   #12
smooth
Molotov
Amateur Member

smooth is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If you have any interest in online play though, get the Xbox 360 version. Pretty much everyone online has a headset, which makes a huge difference. I think communication in this game is going to be something very important.

There isn't really an "official" PS3 headset and they certainly don't bundle them with consoles, so no one really uses voice chat on PS3. It's a big disappointment really. Also remember there are many millions more users of Xbox Live than there are of PlayStation Network, although Xbox Live will cost you 39.99 per year. You get a month's free trial in the box with GTA IV.
On PSN everyone that is serious about gaming has a headset, on xbox360 all the little kids have headsets. I much prefer not everybody having a headset. And it's not like you need millions of players to play a game.

Anyway, he's got enough to read about xbox360 vs PS3 so let's not turn this in another one of those threads.

Whatever system you get, you won't regret it.
Old 04-26-2008   #13
PulpzillA
Amateur Member

well im kinda concerned now about the xbox version having more pop-up coz thats what i hated the most in the previous GTAs!
Old 04-26-2008   #14
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpzillA View Post
well im kinda concerned now about the xbox version having more pop-up coz thats what i hated the most in the previous GTAs!
i know i posted the quote a read it on IGN, but what is pop-in/pop-up?
Old 04-26-2008   #15
PulpzillA
Amateur Member

when things like scenery or cars just appear in front of you because the draw distance isnt far enough that you cant see it happening.
Closed Thread