Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008   #1
Neil

Neil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud of
Red face What Wii Fit means for GTA IV

Alright everyone, today's one of the biggest game launches of the year. It's Wii Fit and it has finally arrived in the UK!

This is now the second game which has come to the UK with this "unprecedented demand", "we're sold out for launch day, sorry" message from the main retailers. This morning I got up and reserved a copy at Argos no problem whatsoever. All of the stores in my local area have stock and I'm expecting it to stay that way.

A couple of weeks ago I bought Mario Kart Wii without a pre-order at around 11am in my local Tesco. Again, they had plenty of stock of this even with retailers online reporting that they're sold out.

The difference between these two games and GTA IV though is that GTA IV is merely a disc - it's a lot easier to produce and there will be a lot more copies of GTA IV around. With Wii Fit, they have to manufacture the complex balance board and with Mario Kart you get a plastic wheel. They're limited by how many of these additional peripherals they can produce. So if these more complex products can satisfy demand, then there is no doubt in my mind that there will be plenty of stock of GTA IV to go around.

I'm going to try ASDA and Tesco first for Wii Fit because they should be a little bit cheaper than Argos. I'll report back with my findings, but I do not expect to be returning home today without a copy of Wii Fit.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #2
Sublimo
Drunk Belgian

Sublimo is on a distinguished roadSublimo is on a distinguished roadSublimo is on a distinguished road
More complex products?

Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the plastic wheel just something were you plug the controller in?

Nontheless I don't need a gaming console to stay fit!

Love the concept though.
Old 04-25-2008   #3
Neil

Neil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimo View Post
More complex products?

Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the plastic wheel just something were you plug the controller in?
I mean the manufacturing and distribution of these products is more complex. The Wii Wheel is junk, I agree. (That doesn't stop Mario Kart from being an absolutely fantastic game though!)
Old 04-25-2008   #4
Duke Lion

Duke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really nice
So what exactly does Wii Fit mean for GTA 4?
This topic seems to be a lot more about your fanboyism towards nintendo than anything else.
A move to "video games chat/news" would be appropriate imo.

And it should be: "one of the biggest game launches of the year FOR THE WII"

And people are less likely to preorder stuff at local shops (if they even can), which could be part of the explanation why they have the games in stock..
And people have to take time out of their schedule if they have to go to a shop..
Duke Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #5
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
This is kind of a pointless topic, Wii FGit and GTA IV are completely different, I for one don't give two shits about what Nintendo have knocked out so old people and business men can get just so they can claim to be in with the console crowd.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #6
qweets
Newbie Member

qweets is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a wii, then i sold it.. Worst gaming system ever in my opinion.. nothing but minigame after minigame. "HEY GUYS LOOK AT MY SLIGHTLY OVERCLOCKED GAMECUBE!!! IT HAS MOTION SENSOR CONTROLLER !!! OOOOH" Stupid Gimick kids console.
Old 04-25-2008   #7
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Sorry Neil, but this thread is pointless. It has absolutely NO affect on GTA. OK concept but the whole Wii and games included is a shit console.

Whoops, looks like console bashing - warning?

This does seem to be more concerning your want of getting a copy of WiiFit rather than what the original title suggests.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #8
oppar
Amateur Intellectual

oppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond repute
Wii Fit...biggest game launch of the year? Are you fucking kidding me.

Neil should stop making these topics.

grimmy is a gay icon
oppar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #9
Neil

Right, let me explain this a bit more. The most popular games console in the UK at the moment is Nintendo Wii. Two games this year have seen pretty much every online retailer stick up their notices about "unprecedented demand", "sold out for day one" and suchlike, yet come the day, most real stores had plenty of stock to go around.

IGNORNING WHETHER YOU LIKE WII, ITS GAMES OR ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT, you need to realise that it is popular, just like GTA. Look at the chart. It's DOMINATED by Wii exclusive games, or versions of older games which have been released on Wii recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qweets View Post
I had a wii, then i sold it.. Worst gaming system ever in my opinion.. nothing but minigame after minigame. "HEY GUYS LOOK AT MY SLIGHTLY OVERCLOCKED GAMECUBE!!! IT HAS MOTION SENSOR CONTROLLER !!! OOOOH" Stupid Gimick kids console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
Sorry Neil, but this thread is pointless. It has absolutely NO affect on GTA. OK concept but the whole Wii and games included is a shit console.
And going a bit off topic here, but you need to try Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy before you pass judgement. Yes, the graphics are shit, yes, the online modes are a bit poo, but on a gameplay front, things are really looking up. I'm confident we'll see a GTA game on Wii some time in the future too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tatic View Post
Wii Fit...biggest game launch of the year? Are you fucking kidding me.
No, I didn't say the biggest, I said one of the biggest. This game is going to be top of the UK chart next week, guaranteed.

Anyway, if these two Wii games are making retailers say "sold out" and then magically have plenty of stock, then there's definitely going to be plenty of stock of GTA IV next week, even though they are doing exactly the same thing in the GTA case. If you don't have a preorder, you really have nothing to worry about. That was the point of this thread.
Old 04-25-2008   #10
CB

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
GTA will never see a Wii release. You did make me laugh there Neil, thanks.

Old 04-25-2008   #11
Neil

Quote:
GTA will never see a Wii release. You did make me laugh there Neil, thanks.
Oh right, that would explain why Rockstar Games has been posting job ads at a few of its studios for Wii Programmers, right? Rockstar London are currently looking for a Wii Lead Programmer and I've seen a few ads in the past where they've also been looking for a full team of them. Rockstar Leeds were also on the lookout for Wii programmers before too.

Manhunt 2 is on Wii, Bully: Scholarship Edition is on Wii, what's stopping them putting GTA on Wii? Nothing, and the size of the market there is a great incentive to put it on Wii. Hell, putting a GTA game on Wii might help them crack Japan even further.

To be fair though guys, if I had come in here and used a different game as an example, say MGS4. Sold out everywhere online, but all the stores have it on day one. If I had come here and used that as my example, you guys wouldn't be throwing your toys out of the pram. Let's now just call them Popular Game A and Popular Game B. These two popular games have been in stock all over the UK on day one, despite their inclusion of proprietary peripherals.

Since GTA is just a disc, we should see plenty of copies available on Tuesday. If you don't have a preorder, don't be worried!
Old 04-25-2008   #12
CB

Seriously, Neil, the Wii can't handle GTA's graphics for a start. And because R* have advertised for a Wii programmer doesn't automatically mean GTA, could be another game they have in development. I would be very surprised if GTA made it onto the Wii.

VERY surprised.

Old 04-25-2008   #13
Neil

Quote:
Seriously, Neil, the Wii can't handle GTA's graphics for a start. And because R* have advertised for a Wii programmer doesn't automatically mean GTA, could be another game they have in development. I would be very surprised if GTA made it onto the Wii.
Nintendo Wii is more powerful than PlayStation 2. PlayStation 2 could handle GTA, so what's stopping Wii?
Old 04-25-2008   #14
CB

You misunderstood, Wii can't handle GTA IV.

Old 04-25-2008   #15
Neil

I never said that it could.