Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008   #1
unFunGames
Newbie Member

unFunGames can only hope to improve
IGN talks GTA4 Multiplayer - Free Mode explained

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868607p1.html

They explain how getting into a match works, which is sort of what I expected (the lobby is you running around in liberty city).

but there is something that worries me...they don't mention matchmaking. All they talk about is inviting people into your party to play with.

Would I be insane to think this is the only way you can play with people online? If it has matchmaking, how is it going to pick the host of the game? What if it picks a moron to be the host?

I'm starting to think this game doesn't have matchmaking....I know that sounds absurd, and it is, but no one is mentioning it, and the way this structure is explained, it's hard to figure out how it would work.

You might say "Saint's Row works the exact same way, so don't worry about it" but Saint's Row didn't offer custom game modes, and the host didn't get to set options. That's the part I can't figure out. If parties meet up into one game, how does one person become the host and what happens when the other people don't want to play what he wants? will you have to sit and wait forever before you find people willing to play what your party wants to play?

This is very confusing.
unFunGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #2
RAWRferal
The Real McCoy
Amateur Member

RAWRferal is on a distinguished roadRAWRferal is on a distinguished roadRAWRferal is on a distinguished roadRAWRferal is on a distinguished roadRAWRferal is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing there will be lists of games as well, seeing as the first option you choose is between ranked and unranked.

R* Social Club Member #10048
RAWRferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #3
Koolio

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about
Good news really cant wait, all the fun of gta with 15 friends
Koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #4
unFunGames
Newbie Member

unFunGames can only hope to improve
I think the great thing about free mode will be using it to learn the map. Since MP uses ALL of Liberty City, it will be vital to learn all the best spots and where the best vehicles spawn. I'll be playing online Monday night but I'm sure Tuesday will involve a LOT of free mode with a few friends...and co-op of course.

GTA4 is a monster
unFunGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #5
UnknownProjects

UnknownProjects is on a distinguished roadUnknownProjects is on a distinguished roadUnknownProjects is on a distinguished road
I think i read in one interview somewhere that it said something along the lines of,

There won't be a games list (server browser)/matchmaking feature.... you just have to wish you have a lot of people on your xbl friends list who will have GTA IV cause you invite people through the game into your server to play....

I think and im pretty sure i read that, it might not be the exact quote but it was something along the lines of that.

(I could be wrong so don't flame, i just thought i read something like this in one interview!)

Last edited by UnknownProjects; 04-22-2008 at 09:15 PM..
UnknownProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #6
Koolio

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about
highly doubted, that would get rid of the reason to have ranked and regular matches, most games with ranked means you dont have complete control because they are well ranked, in a ranked match with only friends you could easily get the achievements by "cheating"
Koolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #7
Fry
Your Mother

Fry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to behold
Well they say you can either choose ranked or unranked games, So i think there is matchmaking.......
Old 04-22-2008   #8
ktr

ktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished road
I do wonder if the multiplayer application will be available on you first phone. I have read in some article that you have to purchase a higher end phone to activate multiplayer.
ktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #9
iKlipse

iKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
As with the other MP modes, the host has plenty of options to customize the experience, from setting the level of traffic, to turning cops on or off, to the time of day, to weapons available and so much more. This also includes setting a time limit if you don't want Free Mode to last forever.
I really like the sound of that, especially the traffic and cops part.
iKlipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #10
SIZZLYBONE
$19.95 Plus s&h
Newbie Member

SIZZLYBONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownProjects View Post
I think i read in one interview somewhere that it said something along the lines of,

There won't be a games list (server browser)/matchmaking feature.... you just have to wish you have a lot of people on your xbl friends list who will have GTA IV cause you invite people through the game into your server to play....

I think and im pretty sure i read that, it might not be the exact quote but it was something along the lines of that.

(I could be wrong so don't flame, i just thought i read something like this in one interview!)

that would suck even though its probably gon be me and my friends free roaming it up
Old 04-22-2008   #11
x ReNeGaDe
Newbie Member

x ReNeGaDe is an unknown quantity at this point
I might be wrong but I think all these Multiplayer Hands On Previews are from a LAN perspective which doesnt really need matchmaking feature to set up games..who knows probably there will be matchmaking system online.
x ReNeGaDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #12
Ænemy
Digital/Concept Artist

Ænemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enough
I think the way free mode is gonna work is pretty awesome. Start out with an awesome shoot out in the beginning when all of you and and your peeps land in the beginning of the game. It'll be like a john woo kinda thing without the constant slowmotion and tricks.
Ænemy is offline   Reply With Quote