Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008   #1
unFunGames
Newbie Member

unFunGames can only hope to improve
We need to figure out exactly how MP works...

I've read every MP preview I could find, and I still can't figure out exactly how MP comes together.

We know the host sets the game options, and we know there's a party system....but what I can't figure out is how these elements come together.

Party-enabled games usually don't let you customize anything, unless you ONLY play with your party. I'm kind of worried that, in order to play custom games, we'll only be able to play against people in our party. COD4 did this in private matches, as did Halo 3.

Here's what, to me, would be perfect....I hope this is how it works, but who knows?

you start a party by calling a friend on your cel phone and inviting them to your game. You'll enter freeroam and this will work as your party lobby. You can invite up to 15 people into your freeroam. Once there, you can either host a game or find a game and that will start matching you up with other individuals or parties.

This will take you to a standard lobby system where the host can set the game up and launch it.

This is how I hope it works. It's the only system that I think will give us full control over what we want to play while keeping our party together.

but...here's where the problems arise...

lets say I have a party of 8 and I try to join a game that's doing 8 teams of 2. how would my party stay together? Would the host be forced to make it 2 teams of 8, or would it just not match us up with this host? If he hasnt set up the game settings how would it know not to match us up?

I get this feeling that Rockstar might have screwed up and you won't be able to do custom games with matchmaking....but I hope they figured out a clever way to make it work. The problem is that none of the idiots that did the MP preview paid any attention to what was going on, so who knows?

The tricky part is that you use your in-game cel phone to go online. This forces you to load the game and get into SP mode, which leads me to believe that you'll be in freeroam once you're in, much like in Burnout Paradise.

Maybe you can freeroam that way, or just host/join a match the standard lobby way....that dang celphone twist is what baffles me.
unFunGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #2
.:nemesis:.
Wicked Member

.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all
I'm quite sure Rockstar will have it all laid out nicely, guess you will find out when you play the game.
.:nemesis:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #3
california6066
Jai Kim [[Ching Mafia Boss]] ww.CHINGMAFIA.co.nr

california6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these parts
yeh i would like to know more about MP but i doubt were going to know much more before the game comes out. Your idea, your perfect senario is mine to... maybe were brothers *hides*
california6066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #4
Jakenz
Neg rep me please i need the most

Jakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these parts
im not worrying about a single aspect of the game. i know R* will deliver and i know im going to get a great gameplay experence.

they wouldnt fuck up anything as simple as multiplayer matchmaking etc.
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Intel P965

-780 point(s) from 193 reps (59 positive, 121 negative, 13 neutral lol
Jakenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #5
Jomolungma
Amateur Member

Jomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished road
Well, if the OXM US review is to be believed, there is an almost persistent lobby system for a given group of people. Those people can move in and out of different game modes and always return to the same lobby. I had heard elsewhere that this lobby is actually Liberty City itself, so you'll just kinda be hanging out in the city - not sure if you can blow people up or other gamers up.

I do wonder about group consistency, like if you have 5 players and join an 8 player cops n' crooks - does one of your party become a cop while the rest of you are crooks?

I would think they would almost HAVE to have standardized versions of the game modes that parties can join. I would think the customization options would remain in private lobbies, like in COD4, etc. Otherwise they'd have over 100 different game modes (modes X custom options) to choose from. I have no idea what these "standardized" modes will be like though.

I'm also a little ticked about having to go into the MP through the SP. It might have some advantages if you are playing SP and want to go into MP - you don't have to back out and go through other menus. But what if you want to go straight into MP? It would suck if you first have to fire up the SP, then go to your cell phone, then go to MP. I'd like to just go straight there.

I have a sneaky feeling some of this info will leak before the 29th. However, if it doesn't, I should have answers to all my questions by about 1am EST on the 29th.
Jomolungma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #6
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
I think the servers on the first day are going to be lagged to shit with the huge influx of members on there. I'm going to concentrate on the Single Player for a few days to let the hype die down just a little.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #7
Jomolungma
Amateur Member

Jomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished roadJomolungma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
I think the servers on the first day are going to be lagged to shit with the huge influx of members on there. I'm going to concentrate on the Single Player for a few days to let the hype die down just a little.
You're probably right. I'm hoping that private matches won't suffer as much as open matches, but we'll see. When COD4 has issues, the private matches are usually immune.
Jomolungma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #8
owned_by_gta
Nick

owned_by_gta is on a distinguished roadowned_by_gta is on a distinguished roadowned_by_gta is on a distinguished roadowned_by_gta is on a distinguished roadowned_by_gta is on a distinguished road
i think when your partner dies he spawns at the nearest hospital and you can meet up there in free roam but in game modes such as bomb da base and turf war you spawn to the closest member of your team
Old 04-22-2008   #9
cT Riot
- Chaos Theory, cT -
Newbie Member

cT Riot is an unknown quantity at this point
People who played the multiplayer, forgot they were writing a preview, and just got into the game, which... Is understandable. So they just reported there experiences, and they have all been, amazing.

Anyways, good question. Hopefully too find out from IGN.com GTA week.
cT Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #10
baleent
Banned
Banned

baleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished road
I'm sure R* told them not to say anything about a lot of it as well, because MP is gonna be a big deal. Aren't there still like 4 modes we don't know about?

My guess is, in party mode you're all in free-roam, but the host has a 'master' cell phone that has all the game options and such. So he sets up the perimeters, you know, the spawn area or whatever, and the game settings. Then, the involved players all have to meet there, and once they do the game will count down to start. It could be a hassle driving all the way across town, but you can always skip the trip in a cab, unless you really want to keep a vehicle.

Extra players are allowed to free-roam and watch if they want. Maybe their ammo doesn't do anything to the concurrent game the other players are in. If not, it's as easy as kicking the guy out. Rockstar better have a votekick.
baleent is offline   Reply With Quote