Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > GTAGaming > Announcements & Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007   #16
Kwanza

Kwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enough
First off, steer away from having the left column on the forums, it'll just clutter things up. It's good right now, though I'm not a big fan of the color scheme.

As for the site, it's not very accessible, and it's very cluttered. Parts of the design are very messy, and even in some cases pretty bad to look at. It's outdated. Newer sites are all about getting the content out there, right out to the viewers, not loading as much as you can in unorganized side panels. I'll think of a basic design, and draw it up for you so my post actually has a bit more use, but I'm hoping I'm helping you into the right direction.
Kwanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #17
Kodo

Kodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterfl0w
First off, steer away from having the left column on the forums, it'll just clutter things up. It's good right now, though I'm not a big fan of the color scheme.

As for the site, it's not very accessible, and it's very cluttered. Parts of the design are very messy, and even in some cases pretty bad to look at. It's outdated. Newer sites are all about getting the content out there, right out to the viewers, not loading as much as you can in unorganized side panels. I'll think of a basic design, and draw it up for you so my post actually has a bit more use, but I'm hoping I'm helping you into the right direction.
Thanks for your comment. I understand completely what you are saying about the older design, and if you could do a simple design of your idea that would be helpful. I am going to research some ideas for a new design myself. Added to the list.
Kodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #18
Kwanza

Kwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enoughKwanza will become famous soon enough
Also, (sorry no drawing yet, just got home I'll do it now :p),
User contests boost the morale of the forum/site, and the interactivity. It steps the community a bit out of just discussing elements of the games, and getting the community to laugh, work together and pull out a creativity site.

One that popped into my head, which is pretty simple, have a contest for the best fake GTAIV Box Art. Now, I know real screens are out for the game now, but remember that most GTA games use artwork, that they don't previously release. Give marks for the most creative box, including even printing it out and slipping it into an xbox360 case, for kicks!

Prizes may be as simple as a special title on the forums (similar to the LEGEND one), or a spot on a contest winners page.
Old 07-24-2007   #19
Kodo

Kodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud of
Relating to that Fake Boxart, how about a contest to design a boxart, and the winner is the one who most closely matches the real boxart when it is released.
Kodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #20
Kwanza

Hmm, I like that too! That'd work better, since so much pre-made stuff is already released.

One more thing the site should be looking to doing is a lot more GTAGaming exclusive content. As in, articles, walkthroughs, analysis, in-depth information. Not re-hashed news posts from other sites (no offense). Become more than a news posting site, evolve into a GTA Community!
Old 07-25-2007   #21
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Believe me, we've been planning awhile now, and sometime throughout the rest of the year, you won't be disappointed, big things lie ahead.
Old 07-25-2007   #22
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
I remember back in 2004 when the site last had its little change, there was a poll asking which resolution should the default be based on, it was either the current default (800x600) or re-arrange it for for a new one (1024x768), back then obviously 800x600 won, but maybe you should do a poll like that again, considering now, many more people use higher resolutions, HDTVs, TFT Monitors, etc. And since someone else has said it looks cluttered (I don't think that) then it would reduce clutter just re-arranging it for a higher res.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #23
Kwanza

Here's the basic sketch of what I was going for.

Excuse how awful it looks, it's pretty much for strict layout design and header design. Now, see what I mean? Bigger, more straight to the point. Not shoving everything in two side columns. Spread it out! Trends these days are having the headers to be large, and the blend in very well with the rest of the page. The city scape there, does a good job of showing what I mean.

A well-layed out site has 2 columns in the main content, maximum. There's no real need for more. Main content takes up the majority of the frame space, while the navbar (side column), takes up the remainder.

It looks pretty bad there because of my crappy drawing, but hopefully you can look past that to see what I mean.
Old 07-25-2007   #24
Tim
Autonomic

Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond reputeTim has a reputation beyond repute
that looks loads better, nice sketch ideas. That would make the front page look so much cleaner.

Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #25
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Perhaps the Things to Notice page could be updated regarding stuff from the 2nd trailer, there's plenty of stuff in it worth mentioning.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #26
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
I rather do like the gist of that layout. And I've been planning some sort of contest with Kodo and Slim for a while now. Hopefully we can make something happen within the month of August.
Old 07-25-2007   #27
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterfl0w
Here's the basic sketch of what I was going for.

Excuse how awful it looks, it's pretty much for strict layout design and header design. Now, see what I mean? Bigger, more straight to the point. Not shoving everything in two side columns. Spread it out! Trends these days are having the headers to be large, and the blend in very well with the rest of the page. The city scape there, does a good job of showing what I mean.

A well-layed out site has 2 columns in the main content, maximum. There's no real need for more. Main content takes up the majority of the frame space, while the navbar (side column), takes up the remainder.

It looks pretty bad there because of my crappy drawing, but hopefully you can look past that to see what I mean.
The actual layout out there is some what similar to what I've been working on, but won't reveal it to you
Old 07-25-2007   #28
Kwanza

Haha, awesome.

Also, tip, avoid at all costs letting the forums become like GTAForums. That place is such a sloppy mess of duplicate threads and 13 year olds. :p
Old 07-25-2007   #29
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
afterfl0w, just a quick question, you seem to want very big changes to the site, some good ideas and all, but how long have you been checking this site? Were you around in the edge days and stuff, this forums colour scheme is based upon that and the main site hasn't changed it's design that much in years, yes some things need to be sorted out, updated, cleared up, etc but it's proven to be a winning formula. Changing a few things is good, but a total rehaul of the site will just seem awkward for those of us who have been around for a long time. I'm not saying you have bad ideas, infact most are great, but scrapping the sites look and colour scheme seems drastic.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #30
FG
CJ would be so proud

FG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735
afterfl0w, just a quick question, you seem to want very big changes to the site, some good ideas and all, but how long have you been checking this site? Were you around in the edge days and stuff, this forums colour scheme is based upon that and the main site hasn't changed it's design that much in years, yes some things need to be sorted out, updated, cleared up, etc but it's proven to be a winning formula. Changing a few things is good, but a total rehaul of the site will just seem awkward for those of us who have been around for a long time. I'm not saying you have bad ideas, infact most are great, but scrapping the sites look and colour scheme seems drastic.
Agreed , I just read through this thread , an I must say as a user of this site , it was one of the main things that got me coming in more , was the current look of the color scheme.

Some progress is ok , just don't chuck the proven stuff.

EDIT : the current changes to , admin,mod legend ,ect; look real good.

Last edited by FG; 07-25-2007 at 04:37 PM..
FG is offline   Reply With Quote