Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007   #16
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
The thing with side missions/mini games is that they are much easier to produce. They don't need to make a cutscene, record loads of dialogue etc... pure gameplay. They can give you twice the game play with a much reduced production time/cost (as GTA usually has 40-50% Story and the rest the other activities).

What's the difference between racing across town picking up briefcases full of illegal cash and returning them to the Don for a reward, and racing across town collecting checkpoints and hitting the final checkpoint for a reward? That's a rhetorical question... but the answer is: The pretty cutscene(s).

And as Dex said, collecting a Horse shoe is exactly like collecting a package. SA Just spiced it up a bit as it wasn't all "walking into a floating object", there was tagging & photos (and swimming although it's essentially the same as packages just underwater).

Also, from experience, SA has the lowest percentage of non story missions out of III,VC & SA. The story in III was approx 40% of the game, in VC I believe it was somewhere around 40-45% and SA it was 50% (give or take a couple of %).
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #17
Himuro
These boots are made for walking

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
"What's the difference between racing across town picking up briefcases full of illegal cash and returning them to the Don for a reward, and racing across town collecting checkpoints and hitting the final checkpoint for a reward? That's a rhetorical question... but the answer is: The pretty cutscene(s)."

I never said there was anything wrong with the races. I love the races.
Himuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #18
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
But the minigames just add to the fun once the storyline is over, and the collectibles also just give you another way to get unlockables. A lot of the truly tedious minigames don't count towards 100% completion e.g dating and dancing (bar the one mission were you had to dance.)
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #19
Lucky
That Guy

Lucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of light
Some mini-games can be entertaining and a fun diversion from the storyline. Collecting things is also worth the reward usually, so I don't think they should be taken out. Just a little more diverse than "Go here, come back, go to a new location". The ambulance/firefighter/viligante missions all seem a little to similar to me at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
There's loads of other fish in the sea. Stay out of the whales. Fucking fatties.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #20
SimonS
Pffft.

SimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of light
Mini games are vital for replayability

Saints row had nothing in terms of minigames, and once the main story was over...so was the game, literally...
Old 04-07-2007   #21
tootricky
Newbie Member

tootricky is an unknown quantity at this point
i think a range of mini games add longevity and flexibilty to GTA games... there were times playing SA that I couldn't be arsed to do the missions, and just wanted to play a game of pool, tag a few walls and generally explore and muck about.

I've never got 100% on any GTA game since the series first came out. Its not important to me and I don't have that kind of time to bother getting it. Therefore I don't see the mini games as just a means to get 100%... they are an enjoyable distraction from the intensity of doing the missions and following the story.

More mini games please!! A whole arcade would be cool, and a proper pool hall too!

tootricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #22
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himuro
"What's the difference between racing across town picking up briefcases full of illegal cash and returning them to the Don for a reward, and racing across town collecting checkpoints and hitting the final checkpoint for a reward? That's a rhetorical question... but the answer is: The pretty cutscene(s)."

I never said there was anything wrong with the races. I love the races.
I think you missed my point. I wasn't talking about races specifically. I'm just saying whatever theme you layer over certain gameplay, the gameplay is still the same, here's another example:

Luigi wants you to drive around town picking up hookers and dropping them off at the policeman's ball quickly, you can only carry up to three in your car at a time.
OR
Drive around the streets picking up patients and drop them off at the hospital quickly, you can only carry up to three patients at a time.

They are basically the same thing, but one is labeled as hookers/party and the other is labeled as patients/hospital.

Bringing me to the main point, just 'cause a side mission doesn't often have story, characters or cutscenes doesn't mean they play any differently.

I will of course admit that in GTA (and most games) they tend to make the story missions themselves more varied and deeper, but a side mission could easily be the same however in GTA side missions are for the most part "bit-sized" for some quick gameplay hits rather than when you want to get stuck in for a longer period of time (bar paramedic/vigilante...).

Ofcourse, if all you want it to play is the story, you can. That's (one reason) why GTA is great.

Last edited by Jimmy_86; 04-07-2007 at 06:43 AM..
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #23
FG
CJ would be so proud

FG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to behold
I did the oysters in SA, before I even got on the bike in the mission " In the Begining " so I could have Katie an Barbara to protect my $ an weapons, it was't tedious at all. The oysters made CJ irresitable an they excepted even as the Cops where killing poor CJ. I had no Maps or Brady Guides at that time. Went on from there to do the story line. I found neutral area's to escape to.
Old 04-07-2007   #24
Ian
Grand Theft Manual

Ian is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himuro
I didn't think SA was difficult at all. In fact, I feel the series has gotten easier and easier as time has gone by.
My thoughts exactly. VC and SA was far easier. I think SA was the easiest, but I could'nt go back to VC to verify it because I lost the VC discs during a house move.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #25
Morkoc96
Newbie Member

Morkoc96 is an unknown quantity at this point
I really liked that basketball "mini game" in SA...i would jsut get board and start to shoot some hoops. I loved it. perhaps in IV we could have street ball tounements and see who can take their team from the gutta to the top of street ball. You could travel all around compleating and earn new rap songs and other cool stuff like that. You could trick your guy out with the latest jordens and if the game got close you could whip out a 9mm and glock the guy with the ball!!!!!......no? Nobody? lol, yeah me nither. That would kinda suck.
Morkoc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #26
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to see minigames. But not 100 different one's

How about just 10 different that will be worth while, well designed, fun..