Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2007   #1
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Phil Harrison Responds to GTA IV Exclusivity Situation

IGN - PS3 Not Enough for GTA IV

Well it looks like we've got an official response from Phil Harrison concerning GTA IV being the first non-Sony exclusive GTA title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Harrison
I don't think PS3 has the install base to support Rockstar's investment in GTA IV on its own.
So basically what he's saying is that Rockstar wouldn't make enough money off GTA IV if it were a PS3 exclusive. The article also talks about Sony's trouble with third-party exclusives (which I won't outline here since this is the GTA IV forum, just read the article). Once there are more PS3 owners, it will be easier for Sony to grab exclusives such as future Grand Theft Auto titles.

Have to agree with Rockstar one this one. Even though there are a decent sum of people who would buy a PS3 just for GTA IV (if it were exclusive to the platform), they still wouldn't make as much money as if they released on the 360, since it's the more popular platform. More owners = more sales.
Old 03-09-2007   #2
Larry Novellino
Larry Novellino - Waconia High School, Minnesota

Larry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the rough
Definetely makes sense. Lots of Sony fans are converting to the 360. It's really a smart decision.
Larry Novellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #3
Gamaya

Gamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the rough
If the PS3 doesn't drastically reduce it's price within a year, I will be buying the 360 and to hell with any future Sony games.

Seriously. There is no way I can afford a £425 Playstation 3. I'll have to wait for a while for it to come down, but how much longer after the release of GTA IV will I be able to wait before having to get a 360 in order to play it? I'm gunna guess not that long.
Gamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #4
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauwee
Definetely makes sense. Lots of Sony fans are converting to the 360. It's really a smart decision.
Well it's not that they're converting, but the 360 has been out a year longer than the PS3, so there is a much larger community.
Old 03-09-2007   #5
cyrix
I EAT TREES AND SHIT TABLE LEGS!
Wicked Member

cyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaya
If the PS3 doesn't drastically reduce it's price within a year, I will be buying the 360 and to hell with any future Sony games.

Seriously. There is no way I can afford a 425 Playstation 3. I'll have to wait for a while for it to come down, but how much longer after the release of GTA IV will I be able to wait before having to get a 360 in order to play it? I'm gunna guess not that long.
I assume you'll be getting the premium 360, and live as well right? So that's 450 right there, plus an additional 50 a year for live....... I think I'll leave it at that.

~ PH X4 955 4 ghz ~ 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 ~ MSI Twin Frozr 560 GTX TI ~
~GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 ~ 2x Intel 510 120GB SSD
cyrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #6
Gamaya

Gamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the rough
I don't need the premium 360 and even if i did it only costs £280, normal is £200.

A lot of difference really.........I think I'll leave it at that, too.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...Terms=xbox+360 = xbox360

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...=playstation+3 = playstation 3
Old 03-09-2007   #7
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrix
I assume you'll be getting the premium 360, and live as well right? So that's 450 right there, plus an additional 50 a year for live....... I think I'll leave it at that.
Well, you could always go Live monthly, I do. Sure, in the long run, it's more expensive ($7.25mo), but it's not like you HAVE to spend $50 on a year plan when you get a 360.

Oh btw premium 360 is $399.
Old 03-09-2007   #8
cyrix
Wicked Member

cyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant future
Quote:
I don't need the premium 360 and even if i did it only costs £280, normal is £200.

You're point? Add up the costs of live over the lifespan of the console, not to mention the necessary upgrades if you want the same features (not including the HD-DVD add on) and you're actually paying significantly more. You want wifi? Pay more. You want online? Pay more. You want Hi-def movie playback? pay more. etc.....etc.....etc..... Not to mention the proposed upgrades that would create massive discrepencies among the installed user base as opposed to the newly acquainted user base....

I'm sorry but there's no arguing that point. In terms of features to dollar value the PS3 wins hands down if you want to compare the 360 to it.

The only thing that should even remotely sway any persons decision is exclusivity of games. That's it. And that is precisely why I am still on the fence right now, although I will admit HOME has made me teeter some. Your original statement makes you look like a ridiculous fanboy. I have no problem admitting the Xbox 360 is a fantastic machine with great games. My only concern right now is getting the best for my money, and that's why I have no preference right now. But to complain about the price differences especially considering the differences in what's offered is pointless, and just ridiculous.

Phreak, the price I said was spot on. Oh no, I'm sorry....under by a DOLLAR.

Old 03-09-2007   #9
Rurouni
Most Wanted

Rurouni is on a distinguished roadRurouni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak
Well, you could always go Live monthly, I do. Sure, in the long run, it's more expensive ($7.25mo), but it's not like you HAVE to spend $50 on a year plan when you get a 360.

Oh btw premium 360 is $399.
hey dont forget that you dont have to pay monthly if you dont have the money you can just get a prepaid Card!
Only 60 dollors for a year and 20 dollors for 3 months That's pretty good Ill say!

Youtube Account - ADD
Rurouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #10
Cutts
Omniscient
Addicted Member

Cutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud of
Cyrix, is there any point you would like to make?
Cutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #11
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Lynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond repute
Guy's there is no need to start another ''OMG PRICE WAR'' again. Seriously shut it.
We'll never have a winner between a PS3 and an Xbox 360, as each person's tastes differ from the rest.
I don't see why you guys dedicate so much time into persuading others to buy your preferred system.

Last edited by Lynk; 03-10-2007 at 01:48 PM..
Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #12
cyrix
Wicked Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorRichardsFanatic
Cyrix, is there any point you would like to make?
Pointless post, don't do it again, it's essentially spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk
Guy's there is no need to start another ''OMG PRICE WAR'' again. Seriously shut it.
We'll never have a winner between a PS3 and an Xbox 360, as each person's tastes differ from the rest.
I don't see why you guys dedicate so much time into persuading others to buy your preferred system.
I wasn't trying to persuade anyone if you'd read my posts.

Old 03-10-2007   #13
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Lynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond repute
I wasn't necessarily referring to you.
But yeah, correction I hate how some people try to persuade a guy into thinking that their own favorite console is better than their own system of choice.
Like I said it's all got to do with what games you're into etc.
Old 03-11-2007   #14
Gamaya

Quote:
I don't need the premium 360 and even if i did it only costs 280, normal is 200.

Why did I get negrepped for this post? I wasn't being a fanboy or whatever, I was pointing out that the cost of the Xbox360 is significantly less than the PS3... And even when this "premium" edition comes out here, if it's $399 in US, here it will be (using a converter) it'll be 206.57 - which is less than what I originally put.

I would not require all the upgrades cyrix kept talking about - HD, wifi, online, in order to actually play Grand Theft Auto IV. Which is what I think I wrote in the first place

Quote:
Seriously. There is no way I can afford a 425 Playstation 3. I'll have to wait for a while for it to come down, but how much longer after the release of GTA IV will I be able to wait before having to get a 360 in order to play it? I'm gunna guess not that long.
ah yes, it appears that is what I said. AND EVEN if I did get Live, it would still cost less than me forking out for a PS3 and then getting the PS3's online service. You know, until it reduces it's price - like what I originally said

Quote:
I was never ever being a "fanboy". I have never owned an Xbox, I have always owned a Sony console. My reason for saying "to hell with any future Sony games" was because all my current games would not work on the Xbox360 system so I would not buy any more.

I did not require a lecture informing me that in the long term, Xbox 360 is more expensive. And even if it is (which tbh, if all I'm gunna buy is, and just for the point of argument, the more expensive version - 280) this is all I would need to play GTA IV. This is all I was ever interested in. 425 for the PS3 is too much right now, which is why I wrote "If the PS3 doesn't drastically reduce it's price within a year, I will be buying the 360".

And I don't need to be told American prices. And I was never ever trying to persuade anyone into thinking that their own favorite console is better than their own system of choice. At the time of my original post, the only thing I was actually talking about was my own situation.
Old 03-11-2007   #15
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
Sorry cyrix, I thought you said 360 was $450 by itself

My bad.