Old 05-03-2012   #1
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Max Payne 3 Fansite Event

A couple weekends ago, Kyle (Kodo) and I were lucky enough to be given the opportunity by Rockstar Games to experience Max Payne 3 with some fellow fansite webmasters over in New York City. Now we get the chance to tell you all a little bit about our experiences with the game, and our visit to New York City.

Friday, April 20th: Gerald (www.gtawh.com) and I are picked up by car due to our close proximity to New York City, and later in the afternoon we arrive at the Soho Grand hotel. There we met up with some familiar faces of fellow GTA fansite webmasters, as well as some new ones from the Max Payne webring. From there, we headed off to Brooklyn Bowl (an enormous club/bowling alley/restaurant) to kill the night while Rockstar made preparations for the main event the next day.

Saturday, April 21st: In the afternoon, we all met up in the lobby of the hotel where someone from Rockstar sent us off in black SUVs to the location of the event. When we arrived, we entered what looked like a regular warehouse on the outside, but inside were dozens of HDTVs with Xbox 360s connected with Max Payne 3 on-screen, a fully stocked bar, booming music and a projector displaying the Rockstar Games logo on the wall. Oh, and real spent bullet casings. Everywhere. It was a pretty ridiculously amazing first taste of what was in store for us throughout the night, and none of us could wait to get started. After a brief introduction by the Rockstar team, we were ready to get rollin'.

We all took a seat at each gaming station and began playing, and immediately stared at the stunning visuals during the introduction cutscene, which may just top Rockstar's previous efforts in GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption. From the intro, you jump right into the action. Having played Rockstar's previous games, the controls felt familiar yet different at the same time, leaving a bit of a learning curve with how bullet-time works, which is great. People from the Rockstar team came over and explained certain gameplay mechanics to me during my playthrough, and really helped me with bullet-time, which was great, because I sucked at first. In fact, the first few minutes of me controlling Max Payne, he was a bigger hazard to himself than his enemies. But luckily, after a few action sequences and getting the rest of the controls down, I was ready to follow Max's story.

Unfortunately I can't discuss the story itself, and of course I'd hate to spoil anything, as the first few chapters are astonishingly clever and well-written, so I'll talk a little about the multiplayer. I may or may not have been indulging in the contents of the bar during the event, so my recollection of the explanation of the multiplayer game modes is a little fuzzy; however, we were allowed to play around with the character customization options and weapon loadouts. There was so much to choose from to start, and you earn characters and items as you go along in the game. After customizing our characters, we headed into a few rounds of team deathmatch, Payne Killer and Gang Wars. Each game mode was tons of fun, and honestly I've been sort of craving that same action again since the event. It's so rare and refreshing to see a great game that offers such a great and unique online experience and isn't your typical over-done war-themed first person shooter.

The multiplayer games tell some story as well, so it was pretty exciting to see how it all ties in. The overall feel of the gameplay and story felt very solid, and had a true purpose rather than mindless combat. After playing multiplayer for a few more hours, it was time to head back to the hotel. We were all still excited from the event, so some of us (Gerard, Nick, and I) went to hang out in Times Square one last time before we had to go home the following morning.

Sunday, April 22nd: The rain started to fall as we all said our goodbyes, and we each began our departure for home.

In closing, I'd like to say a HUGE thank you to Rockstar Games, who brought us all together and let us experience an amazing game and gave us the greatest weekend possible for a Rockstar fan. It's always a great pleasure to see and hang out with the other webmasters and the Rockstar team. Rockstar continues to be the best at what they do, and all of us fans are greatly honored to be a part of these events and Rockstar's endeavors.
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #2
Patrucci

Patrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud ofPatrucci has much to be proud of
I saw some photos from the event over on RockstarBase. I wish I was still involved over there.
Patrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #3
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
I get a free T-Shirt every now and then.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #4
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Rockstar takes care of their fans
Old 05-05-2012   #5
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
This makes me so jealous.

Sounds like MP3 is gonna be awesome, which is a complete turnaround from what a lot of people initially expected. There was a great trailer for it when we went to see The Avengers last night.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #6
Zidane

I really want to play this again, argh! Also, we got some awesome Max Payne 3 swag in the mail. I'll upload some pics in a bit.