Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009   #1
NorthernComfort
Newbie Member

NorthernComfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Handling.dat - EXPLAINED!! The whole story and modding your cars.

Hey everyone,

I've always liked playing with the "handling" files in all of the previous GTA's, and still do in GTA IV. However, I never took the time to fully investigate the game's physics and figure out what all of the parameters did (I only played with the ones that made the most sense). Upon searching for a more comprehensive explanation of the parameters in the GTA IV handling.dat, I found only incomplete guesses at what some of them did. Thus, I took it upon myself to do some experimenting (and I do mean experimenting) to make an educated guess at the functions of ALL the parameters, not just a few. I have documented my results in the tables below so that you may use them to your advantage.

I do not claim that these are 100% correct; in fact my theoretical standpoints on some parameters may be far off. But I did my best to formulate likely theories. If anyone sees any problems, or has noticed something different themselves, feel free to point it out and I will look into it, and perhaps we can shed even more light on the game's physics.

Being in the engineering field, I must say I found it extremely annoying that the programmers of this game did not seem to base these vehicle handling characteristics on real life equivalents. When the sum of forces does not equal mass x acceleration, then what can you be sure of? Nonetheless, the system makes some sense in itself at least, even if it doesn't accurately represent true physics.

I did not play with the flags much, since they are either harder to test or self explanatory. I did include tables of them for convenience.

***IMPORTANT NOTE***

If you plan on modding your handling.dat (located at "~Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\handling.dat"), BACK UP THE ORIGINAL IN CASE YOU WANT TO RESTORE IT!

Furthermore, you need to replace the "filelist.pak" (located at "~Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\data\filelist.pak") with the modified version found here. Again, BACK UP THE ORIGINAL BEFORE YOU REPLACE IT!

Now, without further delay, here are the tables as promised! If anyone knows a place where I can host them that will not run out of bandwidth please let me know! The site I used might work but I'm not sure for how long.

I also made a small diagram for coordinate directions in case anyone is unsure.

X Y Z Directions

Handling Table

Flags Table

Last edited by NorthernComfort; 09-15-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Changed picture links.
NorthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #2
Sedo
Newbie Member

Sedo is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm used to the handling files from the previous editions but with the changes in IV this is of good use, thanks !

tho I don't understand why the filelist.pak as I edit my files without any probs
Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #3
NorthernComfort
Newbie Member

NorthernComfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedo View Post
I'm used to the handling files from the previous editions but with the changes in IV this is of good use, thanks !

tho I don't understand why the filelist.pak as I edit my files without any probs
When I first tried changing values they had no effect on the game. I found out after some research it was necessary to replace this file to get modding to work (on the latest version anyways).
NorthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #4
Sedo
Newbie Member

Sedo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernComfort View Post
When I first tried changing values they had no effect on the game. I found out after some research it was necessary to replace this file to get modding to work (on the latest version anyways).
Ah that could explain some difficulties I had with mods ! I'll try them again with this file then

tnx for the info mate
Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #5
strewart
Newbie Member

strewart is an unknown quantity at this point
Fantastic work, I don't know how you had the patience to mess around with all that. Good to be able to change things and have some idea what it will do.

Also, hmmm everything I read in the last few days (been awol for ages) suggested GTAIV v 1.0.4.0 (latest) could be modded without any kind of filecheck. Well, I was able to mod weapons and add new cars after I finally figured out how to edit the files (went straight from XP to 7, I am an administrator why am I continually asked to approve things!) but trying to get rid of the startup screen and change handling, the game still launched but nothing changed.

To cut a long story short, either the modified filelist.pak or Alexander Blade's File Check fix (I put both on at the same time) is still needed in 1.0.4.0 to get it modded properly. Sorry if everyone knew this, I haven't played the game in months and just spent several hours trying to get it working.
strewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #6
critical_error
Newbie Member

critical_error is an unknown quantity at this point
Uh i have a problem, any changes i make to handling.dat have no effect in-game. Replacing filelist.pak crashes my game while loading.
critical_error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #7
Sten0ne
Village Idiot
Newbie Member

Sten0ne is an unknown quantity at this point
THANK YOU!
finaly i understand all those numbers =)
Sten0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #8
raymondht
Newbie Member

raymondht is an unknown quantity at this point
How to lower a car using handling.dat
raymondht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #9
masterw3
Newbie Member

masterw3 is an unknown quantity at this point
for "realistic" damage of cars:
let's just call these "difficulty settings"

Easy: Default handling.dat

Medium:
Dc +1
Dw +0
Dd +1
De +0.5

Hard:
Dc +1.5
Dw +0
Dd +1.5
De +1

Are you NUTZ !?!?!:
Dc +2
Dw+0
Dd +2
De +1.5

What were you THINKING !??
(any numbers higher than that)
-------
going over hills on HARD can bang up the front end, hitting a car in the tire can bend it, jumping off cliffs can severely hurt and disable your car.
but quite realistic to me.

some people's idea of "realistic" means RUNNING into a car, makes it burst into flames, getting into a car and bumping it does the same, and god forbid you actually succeed getting into a car without blowing it up, RAM another car.
masterw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #10
Chong.sx3
Newbie Member

Chong.sx3 is an unknown quantity at this point
That file called "filelist.pak" when replaced with the tiny 8 bit one you recommend prevents my game from loading. What gives? My handling.dat file is rewritable already and shows up as significant changes in game as it is. What is the point of that minuscule .pak file replacing the original much larger one? What is it anyway?
Chong.sx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #11
Izdelava spletn
Newbie Member

Izdelava spletn is an unknown quantity at this point
To all the gta fans and players..at last I have my own wifi internet connection.. hahaha. I can have mmore time playing... so be ready for me.
Izdelava spletn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #12
mawada net
Newbie Member

mawada net is an unknown quantity at this point
I have used the handling files from the previous editions but when they change the application in series IV, I encountered some problems. So this list that you have provided us really helped me.
mawada net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #13
emanuele mastro
Newbie Member

emanuele mastro is an unknown quantity at this point
To all the GTA role players.. I myself plays the game.. and I really like the way the game goes.. It is so realistic.. I wanted to make sure that all this information is true.. I will try using them later.. Chow.
emanuele mastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #14
edgars apalais
Newbie Member

edgars apalais is an unknown quantity at this point
To all the GTA gamers I wanted to tell you that we ROCK!!!.. I always play this game because it is where I can be the person I've always wanted to be..

Dating profiles sale buy

Last edited by edgars apalais; 06-17-2010 at 11:11 PM..
edgars apalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #15
Shareware
Mac Video Converter
Newbie Member

Shareware is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey!! Is there a problem with the site? I used to visit this site for information and updates about the game. But now I can't seem to access the full layout of the screen.. All I can see is the text box where I can pist the comments. Please somebody help me.
Shareware is offline   Reply With Quote