Old 12-13-2008   #1
smegmusmagnus

smegmusmagnus is on a distinguished roadsmegmusmagnus is on a distinguished roadsmegmusmagnus is on a distinguished road
Patch screwed everything up

game had been running just fine, but I wanted to use joystick, so I patched it.

game had all sorts of problems, immediately; became unplayable.

have attempted to remove game from system (Vista Home Premium; 32 - bit), with and without UAC turned on. Game would not uninstall using disk. would not uninstall using add/remove programs feature; had to delete directly from C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games.

Setup program will only offer Modify, Repair, or Remove; no install. As there are no files to repair or modify, these are useless. Also, remove claims to work (as though there are vestiges still in system) but this makes no difference.

I have also manually removed holdover data through the 'AppData' locations.

there is a GTA IV file that will not uninstall from the Add/Remove area; when I try to uninstall, it sez that SecuROM license failed to release.

I have tried everything that I can think of to get this game to re-install and have run out of options.

Can anyone help, please?

Thank you
smegmusmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #2
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
Download CC Cleaner and run that. if it cleans any of the registry entries from GTA4 it might let you reinstall.

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #3
smegmusmagnus

smegmusmagnus is on a distinguished roadsmegmusmagnus is on a distinguished roadsmegmusmagnus is on a distinguished road
Thank you Nite, I will try that. I am dubious though, as I have a registry cleaner that I used during this debacle.
Old 12-14-2008   #4
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
You can really only Google and search in hopes that someone has included any registry entries you could remove yourself if CCleaner doesn't work.

You can always attempt Repair. If you're lucky, it'll reinstall.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #5
smegmusmagnus

What I decided to do was to completely wipe my hard drive, re - install Vista, and then re - install game.

major pain in the ass. I will not be re - installing the patch, of course; I just have to hope that they do not decide to automatically update, or require updating, in the future.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
Old 12-14-2008   #6
Lao Boy
LATE NIGHT

Lao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to behold
Next time you should use System Restore man, works wonders if you know how to use it. :p

[img][/img]

click me
Lao Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #7
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Boy View Post
Next time you should use System Restore man, works wonders if you know how to use it. :p
Heh, ends up when I tried to use that, my system restore wasn't active at all 0.0 There were no restore points :/

thenotsogoodtrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #8
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
System Restore is difficult to use. You can't predict when it will actually help you with a problem you're having.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #9
Yam Trigger
Urban Pleb

Yam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
If I had a nickle for every time that saved my ass...

Do you smell burning feathers?
Yam Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #10
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
Couldn't you do a system restore, to the day before or something?
Old 12-15-2008   #11
smegmusmagnus

good point, about system restore.

however; i do a lot of maintenance on my comp. everyday, including thorough cleansing of things like system restore points.

that method has helped me in the past, though.