Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Troubleshooting & Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008   #1
jonanovi
Newbie Member

jonanovi is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I'm the luckiest person alive! (not)

Guess what happened to me today??? I got a copy of GTA IV, of course, and upon turning on my XBOX, I granted with a lovely ring of red light!

Better yet, my warranty is no longer valid!

I hardly even use the XBOX other than for DVDs every once in a while...

jonanovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #2
Jay
(V) (;,,;) (V)

Jay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond repute
Give it a punch, seriously.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #3
sasagd
Most inactive Member

sasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enough
That is horrible man, I'm really sorry for you, I never had ring of death, does you xbox never work again or something????
I know the ring of death is really famous but I don't know if it kills your xbox or it can function sometimes...
sasagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #4
ktr

ktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasagd View Post
That is horrible man, I'm really sorry for you, I never had ring of death, does you xbox never work again or something????
I know the ring of death is really famous but I don't know if it kills your xbox or it can function sometimes...
The 360 becomes completely useless. It has to do with the gpu overheating to a point where it de-solders itself from the system board. The towel trick is to overheat the system even further so that the solders can make contact again.
ktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #5
jonanovi
Newbie Member

jonanovi is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm...
I think I'm just going to go out and buy a new one. It seems like the new ones are more reliable with the "Falcon" update.

Not sure whether to get the $350 one or the cheaper, $280 one.

I never expected this to happen to me! I thought I bought the console enough past launch that I wouldn't be the victim of this, especially since I'm not a heavy user of it.
jonanovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #6
sasagd
Most inactive Member

sasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enoughsasagd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonanovi View Post
Hmm...
I think I'm just going to go out and buy a new one. It seems like the new ones are more reliable with the "Falcon" update.

Not sure whether to get the $350 one or the cheaper, $280 one.

I never expected this to happen to me! I thought I bought the console enough past launch that I wouldn't be the victim of this, especially since I'm not a heavy user of it.
You should get the 280 one if your current xbox has a hard drive, if not then go for the 350 one
sasagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #7
Anal Yogurt
Newbie Member

Anal Yogurt is an unknown quantity at this point
ouch.. that's the worst.. my 360 is still doing that lol been for awhile and i don't have the warranty either ;x
Anal Yogurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #8
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Do what Jay said.

I've seen some Brazilian dude fix his 360 by smacking the shit out of it.
Old 04-29-2008   #9
Uber_mike
Pong owns GTAIV and you know it!

Location: The Paradise city, where the grass is green, and the girls are pretty.
Uber_mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Wanna give/ sell it to me??? I'll pay shipping!
Uber_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #10
LordLeverette
AKA Conquerer and AKA GtaGuy

LordLeverette will become famous soon enoughLordLeverette will become famous soon enoughLordLeverette will become famous soon enoughLordLeverette will become famous soon enoughLordLeverette will become famous soon enoughLordLeverette will become famous soon enoughLordLeverette will become famous soon enough
I think you can still send your xbox to microsoft, as the red ring problem is with 3 year warranty (I think, try calling them)

1-800-4-MYXBOX
LordLeverette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #11
Oxymoron
jou ma se poes

Oxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLeverette View Post
I think you can still send your xbox to microsoft, as the red ring problem is with 3 year warranty (I think, try calling them)

1-800-4-MYXBOX
LOL. Good luck with Microsofts customer service . I won't be surprised if they put you on hold and then hang up after 30 minutes
Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #12
mmafighter
Hit em' hard

mmafighter is on a distinguished roadmmafighter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonanovi View Post
Guess what happened to me today??? I got a copy of GTA IV, of course, and upon turning on my XBOX, I granted with a lovely ring of red light!

Better yet, my warranty is no longer valid!

I hardly even use the XBOX other than for DVDs every once in a while...

BEFORE YOU GO OUT AND BUY A NEW ONE...make sure you really have the actual RROD. Sometimes you can get the red rings, but it may be no more than a harddrive issue, or a power issue. Different combinations of red rings mean different things. Check microsofts website for a list of what all of the lights mean. I think the RROD is in quadrants 2, 3, and 4, but im not quite sure. Just be sure it is actually what it is before you buy new. And it is covered under warranty. Microsoft updated their warranty just for this issue. Ive had this happen twice, so i feel ya man.
mmafighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #13
RockstarVagina
Newbie Member

RockstarVagina is an unknown quantity at this point
I got red rings as well a few times and they haven't come up since but my 360 freezes after 5 minutes of being on when I try other games. From what i've read I need to send my console in and then wait for Rockstar to give a word on what exactly they think is going on. I'm guessing though that certain systems can not handle the power required to run the game, I guess we will see in the next week.
RockstarVagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #14
iKlipse

iKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond repute
Answer to all your problems
iKlipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #15
RockstarVagina
Newbie Member

RockstarVagina is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd buy one but those are freezing up too so nothings guarentee'd.
RockstarVagina is offline   Reply With Quote