Old 04-27-2008   #1
RudiRulez

RudiRulez has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Post PS3 Vs 360 Comparison

Hi guys found this over on the Playstation forums. Has some pretty cool info like the PS3 install time is 7 mins 20 secs(OUCH).

If this has been posted before please ignore it. Thanks.

It was inevitable. With the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 competing for the "next-gen" first place spot, both armed with Grand Theft Auto IV shipping day and date, nitpicking comparisons between each version was expected from vocal fans. Rockstar Games has commented multiple times that both versions are identical, minus a few platform specific features and Xbox 360 exclusives.

We've played both versions of GTA IV—quite a bit, actually. We've noticed a handful of differences, some of which you know, some which you may not, many of them hair-splitting. We break it down, from frame rate to controls, after the break.

Installation
The PlayStation 3 version has a mandatory 3.4 GB hard drive installation that will be the longest 7 minutes and 20 seconds of your life if you're chomping at the bit to play. It's initially an annoyance, but PS3 owners will welcome it. There is no option to install the game to an Xbox 360 hard drive.

Frame Rate
The Grand Theft Auto series has never been synonymous with a rock solid frame rate, something it generally seems to get a pass for. While GTA IV is smoother in general than it's predecessors, it can expectedly suffer during chaos. The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.

Pop-In & Loading
With a huge, seamless streaming world, data must be constantly read from the disc. The PS3 version, with its required HDD install, loads missions a couple seconds faster and decreases pop-in. The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading, as things like trees, vehicles and building signs will regularly pop-in as one tools about town. It can be distracting, especially during high speed chases, and the PS3 version isn't entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem.

Graphics
The two versions are so close to identical, visually, that putting together a comparison was a challenge. Initially, it appeared that the PS3 suffered from more noticeable aliasing than its 360 counterpart, but after eyeballing the final retail copy, they appear to be on par. I noticed that the paint filter applied to cover some of the game's imperfections appeared a tiny bit muddier on the PS3 version, with night time scenes seeing more streakiness. Some of these minor complaints may be the result of our particular television settings and require the finest of fine tooth combs to assess.

Downloadable Content
The Xbox 360 version is announced to have two exclusive downloadable content packs for purchase. Details on what will be contained in those two exclusive batches of DLC are sparse, so we can't judge what they'll bring to the table, nor do we know if the PlayStation 3 version will eventually get its own DLC from Rockstar. If you're looking for more GTA IV, and you may very well be after you've completed the core game, you're going to want the 360 version.

Achievements
The Xbox 360 version has the requisite list of Achievements exclusive to the platform, creative and challenging goals that sometimes go beyond the regular gaming experience. However, as with other GTA games, stat-tracking for kills, stunt jumps, and the dozens of extras will keep completionists on the PS3 side happy.

Motion Controls
The PS3 version has optional SIXAXIS motion controls for piloting helicopters, steering boats and doing motorcycle tricks. You'll probably leave it off, just like I did.

Good Vibrations
GTA IV supports vibration in the Xbox 360 controller and the DualShock 3, so PS3 owners won't be left in the force feedback lurch.

Final Thoughts
The good news for Grand Theft Auto fans is that whatever platform you have chosen as your own, GTA IV excels on both. They are almost evenly matched, feature for feature. Gamers will have to decide which is more important to them, a slightly more technically sound experience on the PlayStation 3 or downloadable content and Xbox Live integration on the Xbox 360.

If this were a personal decision, I'd have chosen the PlayStation 3 edition, mostly based on my preference for the DualShock controller and the performance edge. However, one thing that we have yet to experience is how well the PlayStation Network will handle the online portions of GTA IV, an extremely important consideration. I place less of an emphasis on features like Achievements and Gamerscore, but appreciate how well crafted and important these features are to others.

In the end, each version stands on its own, with the only downside to the differences being that those invested in their particularly backed console will expend so much effort focusing on something far less important than the game itself.
Old 04-27-2008   #2
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
This is from Kotaku and has been pretty much dismissed as an op-ed.
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #3
CynicalBastard
Banned
Banned

CynicalBastard is infamous around these partsCynicalBastard is infamous around these partsCynicalBastard is infamous around these parts
Thanks for posting this, we really needed another console war.
CynicalBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #4
Jakenz
Neg rep me please i need the most

Jakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these parts
"The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic."

now thats interesting, i would think the ps3 would have a slightly better frame rate because of the installation.

VERY good comparison, and just a bit biased at the end. no big deal.

thanks for the great read
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Intel P965

-780 point(s) from 193 reps (59 positive, 121 negative, 13 neutral lol
Jakenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #5
randomhero
MMFWCL
Amateur Member

randomhero is an unknown quantity at this point
"Frame Rate
The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip."

Thats Biased! Im 100% sure that it said The Ps3 Has better frame rate! im not basing this of fanboyism BUT im still 100% sure they said ps3's frame rate is bettet.
randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #6
Lao Boy
LATE NIGHT

Lao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to beholdLao Boy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero View Post
"Frame Rate
The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip."

Thats Biased! Im 100% sure that it said The Ps3 Has better frame rate! im not basing this of fanboyism BUT im still 100% sure they said ps3's frame rate is bettet.
They try to make it run at the same FPS, so comment's like yours sound stupid, which they do a bit.

[img][/img]

click me
Lao Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #7
unFunGames
Newbie Member

unFunGames can only hope to improve
the mandatory installation is because the PS3's bluray drive is incredibly slow which would make load times ridiculous. There's not a huge difference in the Xbox 360's DVD drive and it's hard drive, so installing to the HD would be a very very slight difference (The 360 has a very fast DVD drive and the 360's HDD isn't very fast). It wont help with the frame rate, it will only effect load times.

Pop-in on the 360 version COULD be affected by load times, however, since it has to stream from the DVD, which will be slightly slower than the streaming from the PS3's hard drive.

I own a 360 and PS3. I'm getting it for the 360, as I do with all games, because all my friends play on the 360, and the online service is better. It doesn't matter to me which one looks slightly better or runs slightly better. Both versions are killer apps and the best game of the year with (probably) no competition whatsoever. I could live with either for a LONG time.
unFunGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #8
CynicalBastard
Banned
Banned

CynicalBastard is infamous around these partsCynicalBastard is infamous around these partsCynicalBastard is infamous around these parts
Quote:
"Frame Rate

*Looks at sig*

You're an idiot.
CynicalBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #9
rean2

rean2 is on a distinguished roadrean2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalBastard View Post
*Looks at sig*

You're an idiot.
whats with u and looking @ pple's sig

Edit: nvmd
randomhero, did u check ur sig or ur avater before u claim to say that was "biased'?

Last edited by rean2; 04-28-2008 at 03:30 PM..
rean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #10
USCGGUNNER15
Stunt Driver/ Car Broker
Newbie Member

USCGGUNNER15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
"Frame Rate

what ever you say mr fan boy with ur PS3 siggy
USCGGUNNER15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #11
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, and YOU'RE not biased Mr. PS3 Sig and Avatar.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #12
treab

treab is an unknown quantity at this point
personally i dont care anymore... this download able content will be coming to the ps3... as if the xbox doesnt sell 50million dollars worth rockstar has to return any excess back to microsoft as it was an advance not a handout...
treab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #13
xXSoldierXx
Shoot 'em up!

xXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enough
I allways say, it doesn't matter what console your playing the game on. As long as its the game itself GTA4 that I will be playing. We all have different consoles, but we all will be playing the same game.
Old 04-27-2008   #14
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think he understands that the 360 only achieves this higher frame rate when NOTHING is going on.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #15
Shadow Conception

Shadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud of
Blu-Ray isn't incredibly slow. The 2x Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 is comparable to like an 8x DVD-Drive I think. I remember someone here posted a graph of it.

The mandatory installation is there probably because it can be there. Every PS3 comes equipped with an HDD, and developers are making use of it. Now, my main question is that why didn't the 360 at least come with an optional install? 20GB too small?
Shadow Conception is offline   Reply With Quote