Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think the handling of cars looks like it will be a problem?
Yes, I can't drive. 4 10.26%
No, it's like learning to ride a bike. 35 89.74%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2008   #1
baleent
Banned
Banned

baleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished road
Driving Handling

So we see how the cars handle now. I noticed a lot of you think it looks bad, and some think it looks good.

I for one like it. It's supposed to be realistic, and I think they're trying to persuade us to not just speed all over the town like we used to. I'll drive as fast as I can without losing control, but with the controllers now, you can drive as slow or as fast as you want. (I don't know if PS3 has this)

Maybe the guys were just new to the game so they were get used to it, but I'll still cruise around the city just to listen to music and take it all in.

I do recall a magazine talking about a mission where you have to drive a car across town with two bodies in the trunk and if you hit bumps or whatever, the trunk might open and you have to pull over and shut it without being noticed. Simple solution to this is to just drive like a normal person. I remember another article saying that in free roam multiplayer, you can see other people on the map but once they get closer they disappear until you can actually see them. So you could blend in with regular traffic once this guy is getting close, and once you see the car speeding and weaving through traffic, you can easily take advantage.
baleent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #2
Oxymoron
jou ma se poes

Oxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura aboutOxymoron has a spectacular aura about
It seems very tricky, but I will learn.
Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #3
Yoonskii
Genovese Family
Newbie Member

Yoonskii is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoron View Post
It seems very tricky, but I will learn.
Yeah, the cars seem much heavier in this game unlike in the previous games where the cars would just take corners relatively quickly and tightly. I guess it's for the best though, just will take time to adjust to it.
Old 04-23-2008   #4
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
Well I play racing games a lot so it won't be a problem for me.
Old 04-23-2008   #5
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
I'm all for the new handling. Driving missions were piss easy in previous titles.

The guy still sucked at it though, but who wouldn't when they first play the game?
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #6
Stiler
Newbie Member

Stiler is an unknown quantity at this point
I for one think it looks great, the way the physics come into play and many of the vehicles look to handle very differently from others.

I think you can't really judge it yet until you drive yourself for a bit. Like many cars once you get used to it's handling I think you'll be driving a lot better.

Right now all we are seeing are people's "first attempts" at driving many of these so of course they are going to be sloppy, over-turning/under-turning, fishtailing, etc.
Stiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #7
AstroFan

AstroFan is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it will be fine, they just made them handle more like real life. Plus the people playing rushed to play the game so they could film it, and they havent had time to learn yet. I think everyone will get the hang of it rather quickly.
AstroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #8
kitch31
lKitchl

kitch31 is an unknown quantity at this point
im sorry but iv been on a race track before and goin round corners at speed, ( i was not driving) and the car does not wobble from side to side so calling that realistic is false, sorry but it cars simply dont handle like that, they have done as OK job simple as
kitch31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #9
comics22
Do the Testris shuffle!

comics22 is on a distinguished roadcomics22 is on a distinguished roadcomics22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitch31 View Post
im sorry but iv been on a race track before and goin round corners at speed, ( i was not driving) and the car does not wobble from side to side so calling that realistic is false, sorry but it cars simply dont handle like that, they have done as OK job simple as
lol well heres the thing, cars that are on a race track generally are race track worthy... take a full size suburban, or heck even an economy car and try to drive that like a race car, i guarantee it will drive much like what we've seen. Everyday cars do not handle like racecars!

reason it was wobbily was because A: he was hitting curbs B: its a top heavy SUV C: he was turning the front wheels left and right.

that and the leaked video driver cant drive lol

hehe anyone remember the first time they played GTASA and got in that picador (elcamino) go it up to speed and tried to stop? yea you slid alot further than previous GTA's but thats the only car...
comics22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #10
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
They're "realistic" in the sense that they're not simulation (GT, Forza), but they're a huge step up from arcade (NFS, Test Drive).
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #11
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Looks great but

when the guy stole the police hummer, it never tipped over.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #12
Tru7hhhh
Newbie Member

Tru7hhhh is an unknown quantity at this point
It just looks very good, and very realistic, it will be odd playing because as with most of you I'm use to flying everywhere and not stopping, now it seems that the slower the better, depending on the car.
Tru7hhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #13
ill plus matic

ill plus matic is an unknown quantity at this point
leaked video drivers don't know how to drive, they are hitting corners at like 60 mph and expect to make the turn.
Old 04-23-2008   #14
Destructo
Newbie Member

Destructo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill plus matic View Post
leaked video drivers don't know how to drive, they are hitting corners at like 60 mph and expect to make the turn.
Exactly. The car handling is not so arcade anymore. You can't take turns at 100 mph anymore by just pulling the handbreak at the very corner.

Now you have to time it, break before taking a corner, like in most simulation racing games.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #15
V-Gamer
Toats Migoats.

V-Gamer will become famous soon enoughV-Gamer will become famous soon enoughV-Gamer will become famous soon enoughV-Gamer will become famous soon enoughV-Gamer will become famous soon enoughV-Gamer will become famous soon enoughV-Gamer will become famous soon enough
I think it looks great! I love how the weight of the vehicle shifts and what not. Makes driving much funner! I cannot wait to play.