Thread: E3 2013
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013   #8
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
PS4 has the same SD output used by PS1, PS2 and PS3 so it will definitely support SDTVs. Mark Cerny already confirmed that you won't be required to be online to use it as well.

Pre-owned games is still up in the air. The previous stance was that it's up to developers but Sony's own studios would not have some kind of used game DRM. There has been a huge twitter push to keep PS3's policies so we'll see if that pans out.

I mean here's the thing... Yes, siding with the gaming community and being the "anti-Microsoft" will get them tons of good press. But how will it impact their relationship with game publishers like EA who have been pushing for the BS used game DRM? At the end of the day they need to decide what's more important from a business perspective: Publisher support or the good will of gamers. Considering their decisions thus far I'm thinking they'll side with the gamers but we'll just have to wait and see. Microsoft's partnership with EA seems to indicate that MS + EA are on the same page with regard to anti-consumer DRM whereas Sony was more hesitant. The rumors I've been hearing is that Sony was going to have the same used game policy as Microsoft but is backtracking because of the backlash. We'll probably find out in two days.

I don't really buy any used games and I rarely lend out games, so such a policy doesn't impact me. But unlike corporate shills like Neil, I actually give a shit about OTHER gamers who might not have the ability to buy new games all the time or who might have poor internet connections. Sony clearly cares about a wide audience whereas MS cares about the US and the US only. As Polygon put it:

Quote:
After a month of vague corporate comments from Microsoft executives, we now know the Xbox One's game licensing policy was written from the ground up for companies. It's aggressively anti-consumer and anti-middle class, and it outright ignores underprivileged gamers. It's gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly and out of touch with a growing global resentment for corporations.
Keep in mind that this is a site partially funded by MS. And even they are disgusted.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs

Last edited by Piggus; 06-09-2013 at 03:09 AM..
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote