I'm guessing you watched the whole thing without sound and didn't follow up on any of the other news, Neil.
1. Those multiplatform games will run worse on the Xbox since the PS4's GPU is 50% more powerful (not even taking into account the GDDR5 advantage of PS4). You mention Destiny, which will have a bunch of PS4 exclusive content and be demoed at Sony's E3 conference. Jonathan Blow (The Witness) said Sony actually CARES about independent developers whereas MS doesn't give a shit. So expect PS4 to be the indie platform of choice. Even Notch (who's in Microsoft's pockets) was pissed off by the reveal.
2. Who gives a flying dick about the apps? It's a GAME CONSOLE. Focus on the GAMES. Not a fucking $400 million partnership with the NFL that could have been used to, you know, help develop better games. Give me Netflix and other basic stuff and we're good, but don't make it the primary focus of the system. If you want all those Windows 8 apps then fucking use Windows 8. Not that difficult of a concept to understand that people want their game console to have an emphasis on games.
3. Most of what they showed won't be available outside of the US. The live TV integration won't be available at launch anywhere outside of the US, and most of the apps they're focusing on are US-centric. But even as an American I don't give a flying fuck because I have a tablet for all that shit.
4. It's ugly and huge as fuck. They should have put a paper bag over it with some vent holes to keep it cool. The people who moaned about the PS4 box not being shown are stupid.
5. They didn't show any gameplay (other than three or four seconds of CoD gameplay) and instead spent the entire time beating off about TV integration. It's was 35 minutes into the one hour event before they even showed a game.
6. The system blocks used games. The days of just putting in your disk and playing on this system is over. You have to fully install the game on the hard drive (which, by the way, is NOT user-replaceable) and then activate the game. If your friend wants to borrow the game, they have to either sign into your Live account or buy the game.
7. Kinect is required for the system to even function. It is always listening for input commands, and MS has some pretty damn shady patents with regard to how Kinect collects information. This focus on Kinect is the reason why the hardware is less powerful.
8. No internet connection? lol too bad! For one, you need internet to activate your game and play it. And the system will not function if it cannot establish a connection once every 24 hours. Yes, I know this isn't a problem for most of us, but what about people who live in poorer countries where connections aren't good?
9. HDMI only. There's no analog output at all for video, meaning the 70% of households in places like South America who don't have an HDTV are out of luck.
Notice something? They actually cared about people who play games. Shocking! With the way things are going, core gamers who buy systems at launch are going to ensure that this new system gets buttrammed hard by Sony.
Core i7 5820K hexa-core @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GBs 2400 MHz DDR4 | Dual MSI GTX 970s | Dual 128 GB SSDs
Last edited by Piggus; 05-23-2013 at 10:24 PM..