Thread: The Next Xbox
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013   #30
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by victim View Post
How much did the PS3 go for originally? I remember a few of my Xbox friends claiming it wasn't worth the price tag, I'd be curious to see what they have to say about this. We were 17 then and a lot more prone to stupid console debates than we are now though.
$599 for the better version, but it was almost entirely due to low Cell yields and blu-ray diodes. The Blu-Ray player in the system alone cost over $200. Even at that high price Sony was taking a $200+ hit per system. It's why Ken Kutaragi stepped down and was replaced try the more sensible Mark Cerney. PS3 is doing well now, but it was a financial disaster for a very long time because of the crazy custom hardware. Cell cost something like $400 million to develop. :/

PS4 won't have that issue since it's mainly using off the shelf parts and tech that has been well-established for quite a while. Unlike with PS3, they don't have to build entire factories just for the CPU. It will most likely be $399 and I doubt Sony will take a very big loss even at that price. It's the EXACT same hardware strategy as PS Vita. Everyone thought that would cost over $300 just because it's powerful, and then Sony shut those people up with a $249 price tag.

What's funny about the Xbox possibly costing $500 is it used less powerful hardware than the PS4 (not including Kinect 2). Slower GPU and much slower/cheaper RAM. I'm guessing MS just wants to be profitable right away and is confident in the subsidization model. It works well enough for the 360 anyway.
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote