View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012   #43
bennifer3000

bennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_735 View Post
I said compare GTA IV and Max Payne 3 on PC, as in, both games on PC, to get an idea of how far RAGE has come forward. Under the same hardware, Max Payne 3 can put out a LOT more details and variables compared to GTA IV and still perform better framerate wise.
I never said RAGE was a problem. RAGE has always been an excellent engine.

But bringing up PC hardware, shaders, whatever is completely irrelevant to how a game performs on console hardware with console toolsets. It's even more irrelevant to which of Rockstar's past games looked better on what console.

Of course they've learned new development tricks since 2004-2008.

GTA V is a new game with a new set of technical challenges. They may have had all prior issues resolved with what they learned on MP3 and they very well may have resolved new problems on both platforms with GTA V. But it is unclear at this point. I think them showing off the PS3 version is a step in the right direction (although you could interpret that differently).

But I don't see how the fact that their older open world games looked inferior on PS3 is irrelevant to the discussion of what system to purchase for.

Furthermore, Max Payne 3 is a far more linear game (with pretty massive load times I might ad). Of course it's going to be more detailed with a better frame-rate, what have you. That's basic opportunity cost and benefit of aforementioned evolution of developmental knowledge.
bennifer3000 is offline   Reply With Quote