View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012   #42
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSilver65 View Post
Personally I wouldn't use a comparison between an open world game and a linear shooter as the linear shooter has a lot less area to cover in detail allowing more detail in a smaller space. I'm going to wait before I make any decisions about what console to get it on

Edit: for the sake of the op I like the Xbox because of the comfortable controller
Well most of what Ash was trying to point out was the engine doing post processing work over existing assets, or so I think. It doesn't matter how detailed the area is assuming you've got clever work on LOD, you could simply scale down asset/texture quality depending on how much performance you need in a area and then apply post processing to pretty up the area/scene. That's how some devs work on getting 60FPS on consoles, drawing back the quality and applying filters and ingenious software tweaks to make sure the consoles can handle it.

RAGE has evolved, it can dish out higher quality with more performance. Now the big killer in GTAIV is draw distance in combination with the amount of vehicle's on screen, and depending on how good the pedestrian models are these will fuck a graphic processor like no tomorrow. I wonder how much detail they can deliver on console before they have to start thinking about keeping a steady framerate.