View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012   #8
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeats23 View Post
I get your point, but the problem with what you're saying is you're only looking at the business from one perspective. You're saying if a company releases two titles around the same time they will compete with each other, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The Bioshock franchise and the GTA franchise are not even close to the same league when it comes to unit sales. Bioshock will probably do a few hundred in the first week and go on to do few million total. GTA will do a few million in the first week. That's why releasing them close together is actually a smart business move. They may split the market, but it's nowhere close to an even split, and either way the money is still going to Take-Two.

Let's go high for Bioshock and low for GTA. Bioshock does 400,000 units in the first week, and GTA does 2 million. That of course means 2.4 million was the maximum amount of units that were ever going to be sold between those two games in their first week. You could say GTA cut into Bioshock's sales and it probably did, but you could also say if GTA didn't release that month, Take-Two wouldn't even be able to sale a million units. Both games will still be available up until and after Christmas, so whichever one you don't get on release you save up and buy later or you ask Santa to leave it under the tree.

It's true that releasing two games around the same time will inevitably split the market to some degree, but you also have to take into account the sheer amount of sales that are added to the mix.
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting... Are you saying that releasing two games at the same time will create more sales?

GTA will do well no matter what time of year it's released, it's not exactly a stocking filler, people want it the moment it's released, whereas while there are those who are the same with bioshock, it's not such a big franchise, GTA would overshadow it, and it's initial sales would suffer.

While you can argue that the people who want Bioshock will buy it eventually anyway, you're only looking at it from one perspective, when Black Ops was released I had never been a fan of FPS games but because there was nothing else that interested me at the time, I picked it up, you have to account for these sort of impulse buys too, they probably make up a large proportion of the market.

Modern Warefare 3 and Battlefield 3 were released around the same time, and I could afford both, but I chose to just get Battlefield and hold out for a price drop on MW3, as did most of my gaming friends.

Releasing a more popular game around the same time as a competitors game release can be a good strategy, releasing a more popular game which will overshadow another of your franchises, is a bad move.