View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011   #28
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteratt View Post
Not that I want to drag this on, but out of technical curiosity, what are you [vaguely] referring to there?

They did it with HD-DVD, I don't see why they can't do a BluRay addon. Other than licensing they have to get from Sony, along with I believe paying loyalties for using their format.
I understand MS not wanting to pay their competitors in the same market, but I don't understand MS's unwillingness to resolve the issue when it's obviously becoming a big pain up developer's ass and which in turn hurts us gamers.

I believe Nintendo is doing something interesting with their format for WiiU, where it's not a BluRay but like a BluRay, MS can come up with something like that.
Or ship games with flash storage the game reads off of extra data from. (just plug it in the USB when playing that game).

So there are solutions, but MS, as always, doesn't really give a shit about the consumers because they know no publisher is going to drop 360 sales so they are happy crippling Sony's strength and hurting gamers at the same time.
The problem is if they acquire such a license and put out an add on that everyone will have to pay for, that alienates lots of customers. If all new games require it then those who don't buy the add on have an essentially useless console. Then who would want to release games on their console when it will only give them a small fraction of the user base who actually ponied up the money for the new drive.
lillb is offline   Reply With Quote