View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010   #17
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
One critical setting I forgot to mention is the ChanceCreated related settings. Car Crews, Street Thugs and Mayhem all have a property that controls the chance of it triggering during ticks. If you change those chance properties to 1, you will make it a 1 in 1 chance (100%) of it trying to find suitable cars and peds to operate on for crews, thugs and mayhem so try setting those 3, 1 in each related settings group, to 1 and see if that helps make it happen more often.

I'll be heading to the airport in about 30 minutes and I'll probably continue working on it there but I already implemented the War Presets idea I posted earlier and it works so damn well I wish I had thought of that for the last release. You can just select a preset, save, load, war. That option is definitely going to see action and get fine tuned heavily.

GTA4 is extremely CPU bound and requires a huge amount of power to have high setings and that is just the default game. When you add in all the huge extra code being performed by AW many times during each tickrate, it can crush even a beefy machine.

Ambient Wars was primarily developed on the following machine:
i7-975 Extreme Edition 4@4ghz
2xGTX295 w/Extreme OC QSLI
8G-LLPT
2xRaptor RAID0

Game setings are 1920x1200 and resources usually 1.6G or thereabouts.

And for reference on what it can do to even a monster rig like this, using the new Armageddon preset, it bogs this machine badly. There's a lot going on when AW is active. I mean a LOT so it can rip a strong rig to pieces.

I do intend on stopping new feature development soon to go back and do a total performance analysis and see where performance can be enhanced throgh effeciency, differnt techniques etc etc. What exists right now is a working and stable core set of fetures but nothing anywhere has been refined for performance. The 1st and only objective was to create a functioning stable base, to be performance-tweaked later.

When I finally get a chance to do that it should help, definitely to a small degree at-least and hopefully to a considerable degree I'll just have to see what can be done in each piece of code better and more effeciently where possible.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-17-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote