View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010   #6
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shy Child. View Post
There was only really two things that bothered me about GTA IV and that was not having as much stuff to do as in previous GTA games. Then I thought of it as a base to start from for the new series, kinda like what GTA III was to Vice City and San Andreas so that kinda changed my perception on that.
This is exactly what GTA IV really was, not that it intentionally lacked features, but R* needed to take the time to get the fundamentals on the newer platforms locked down, otherwise the "fancy stuff" wouldn't work. (sort of just stole a quote from Randy Pausch, but eh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenotsogoodtrickster View Post
This is something I've always wanted to see, a spray 'n' pray feature. I wouldn't go out and call it as a fact, but is it safe to assume that the right trigger in shooting isn't really used by itself? For example, you press the left trigger to aim, and then the right trigger to shoot. Yes, you can use the right trigger to fine aim and shoot, but it's difficult to get used to the pressure sensitive thing needed.

Instead of having that, I think it would be best to have an aim from the hip feature where you can be running with your gun and provide a few shots when at close to full speed just to at least keep anyone in front of you at bay. Can also be useful when you steam round a corner and encounter numerous enemies. A few taps of the right trigger keeps them at bay (maybe hitting a few guys) and then you can duck into cover and fine aim your way through.
Interesting, this is actually basically what would happen GTA III and Vice City (console versions, before the introduction of free-aim on all weapons) when you would hold down the fire button without actually targeting any body. And you're totally right, the right trigger's free-aim functionality via pressure sensitivity was not easy to use without accidentally shooting and thus many neglected to even notice you could do this. So yeah this idea could certainly work, nice thoughts. Remember though, the combat system is something R* has been desperately seeking to master throughout the series' entire run in 3D, so it's bound to keep getting better and better.