Thread: New ATi Drivers
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008   #3
JinxyBoi
Be nice. =)

JinxyBoi will become famous soon enoughJinxyBoi will become famous soon enoughJinxyBoi will become famous soon enoughJinxyBoi will become famous soon enoughJinxyBoi will become famous soon enoughJinxyBoi will become famous soon enough
I've been using the beta drivers and they, umm, didn't do me much improvement. Less texture popup here and there, but still plagued. I'mma see what difference these'll do.

Update: It would appear these are identical to the beta drivers I had been using, more or less. =/ Or at least on the benchmark sheet it shows no driver version difference. average framerate increased by 3 fps which is such a minor discrepancy that it can be attributed to a fresh reboot. HOWEVER! My game had previously been plagued with random walls of blurry texture appearing at the edge of the draw distance, and even with the beta drivers they were still there. Now, they are gone! (or at least didn't appear in the 30 minutes of play I just put down).

Another interesting thing I noticed is on the graphic settings screen. Before it reported my max resource usage was at 478 (from the beta drivers), with the new ones it says max is 473. Hmmm.

Overall, I still say the driver update is worth it.

Math and stats below~

Beta Drivers:

Statistics
Average FPS: 34.31
Duration: 37.27 sec
CPU Usage: 59%
System memory usage: 81%
Video memory usage: 79%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Very High
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 40

Hardware
Video Driver version: 6.14.10.6891

Full RC Drivers:

Statistics
Average FPS: 37.74
Duration: 37.31 sec
CPU Usage: 60%
System memory usage: 85%
Video memory usage: 80%

Graphics Settings
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 40

Hardware
Video Driver version: 6.14.10.6891

and for fun, here's a benchmark from before the beta drivers. the settings were different so I don't really count em, but it shows that the FPS change was more or less nonexistent between it and the beta too.

Old Drivers:

Statistics
Average FPS: 32.28
Duration: 37.64 sec
CPU Usage: 58%
System memory usage: 82%
Video memory usage: 80%

Graphics Settings
View Distance: 44
Detail Distance: 50

Hardware
Video Driver version: 6.14.10.6869

Also Note that my actual in game average FPS is usually like 10 lower than these benches report when in car dealing with traffic. Pre-scripted benchmark sequences don't always tell the whole story when performance measuring.

Test system:

Intel Q6600 @ stock clock
2 gigs of DDR800 RAM
512mb Asus EAH4850
Winderz XP SP3
running off an IDE Hard Disk =p

Last edited by JinxyBoi; 12-10-2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: update
JinxyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote