Thread: GTA IV on GMTV
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008   #15
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735 View Post
Fraid Not, they've already moved on anyway, just the usual tripe, Video Games Are Bad, etc, showed footage of GTA IV and MGS4, saying kids shouldn't play them and that they should be rated higher, etc.
It's effectively asking kids to move to sub-standard entertainment, stay childish all the way till 18 years old, and not grow mentally. That's what I see all around me. Teenagers as old as 15, 16 or even 18 years old are still playing flash games, GameBoys, stupid money-scammer games (basically, the kind of games no reviewers would want to even take a few seconds to rate).

This will effectively cause kids to be less mature and less sensitive to the world around them, as they miss out on TV shows, Games with mature, realistic and adult content. Then they grow up with an immature mind, and then they might start to play video games at 18 years old. Them, being older and has greater access to things, yet without parental control, will possibly be the ones that will pick up a pistol and go on a crime spree, as opposed to a gamer who would rather mind his GamerScores.

What a great idea of a ratings system. Wow.

You don't let the kids be exposed to fictional violence, when will they ever learn? You can be over-protective parents, but they will learn it for themselves anyway and see stuff like violence, sex, drugs in the mean streets out there? And when they see it, will they be able to cope with such potential situations in the future by having an immature mind? Perhaps not.

And it's also harming the video games industry. If you've never played a good video game like GTA or MGS, you will probably not play it in the future. Besides, it's hard to start playing even when you're an adult. From young, you've already been told that they're "evil", and have already been influenced by the media on their "harmful effects", which will not actually help a person in having smart choices as a consumer, and he will effectively make a wrong choice and stick with the not-so-good kinds of entertainment.

Basically, I don't think video games will cause criminal activity at all. Crime is caused by circumstance, as well as the moral values someone believes in, as well as their general mental maturity. It does not have to do with a simple video game. Besides, it has already been proven that GTA had deterred criminal activity in the USA.

Based on the given fact that GTA IV has sold tens of millions of copies worldwide and those anti-game crusaders' fraudulent claims, are we suddenly going to see a sudden and steep rise of criminal activity worldwide? I don't think so. And it has not even happened. In fact, it has worked the reverse way. It deterred crime. I think people nowadays are more likely to compete for multiplayer leaderboards positions, GamerScores and to shoot those 200 Flying Rats rather than commit crimes, which is rather stupid and not really fun in the real life.

I think these anti-game crusaders must really spend a few more minutes thinking over what they've said, if not, I don't think their opinions are welcome.

Who feels the same way?

Last edited by De7erminist; 08-01-2008 at 06:37 AM..
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote