View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008   #28
Neil

Neil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
Rockstar don't care if they're game is released early, its so that all retailers get a fair shot of selling it.
Actually, it's the pretentious people at Rockstar who are creating this situation right now. I think it's a very arrogant attitude to have, claiming that something's so good that everyone must have it at exactly the same moment. It's also a massive marketing ploy, designed to create demand or cravings for the game, and when you're doing that, you've got a good chance of converting those feelings into sales.

It's also one of the reasons that I stand firmly against special and limited editions of games. The arrogance which it shows in thinking that a specific title is worthy of one of these fancily boxed products is something which I feel has no real place in the games industry. Who is to say that the team behind Saints Row or Project Gotham Racing 4 didn't work just as hard, if not harder, than the people working on GTA? Why should one game receive a special box just because its developer and publisher thinks it's worth it?

Just look at other titles. How many times have you seen other publishers go absolutely CRAZY when their game was released a day or two early? The point of the release dates is to create some sort of correlation between when people get their hands on the product, so that people in areas where the game hasn't yet arrived don't feel envious or mistreated. There's a point though (when games are being delivered to retailers over a week in advance of the release date and are simply sitting waiting to be sold) when it becomes silly.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote