View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007   #96
cyrix
I EAT TREES AND SHIT TABLE LEGS!
Wicked Member

cyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant futurecyrix has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak
This pretty much goes to show a couple of things:

1) Sony have "given up" their hold on GTA. Why? It's because they don't have the support. When you have so many more 360s in people's homes than PS3s, you're going to suffer trying to maintain your grip on a franchise like Grand Theft Auto. Didn't Sony even publicly admit this?

2) Microsoft has the upper hand in the "HD war". While Wii is selling like hotcakes, people will soon come to realise that swinging a controller around on a console no more powerful than a last generation Gamecube, they will slowly creep and crawl their way into Microsoft's hands. People who have a Wii in the first place got it because of the price. There's talks that MS are aiming to lower a certain model of the Xbox 360 family to around the $250 mark to tackle Wii's shining success and give even the little guys a chance at true next gen gaming. If MS throws 50 million on the table for exclusive content like this, what makes you think they can't lower the Core's price another $50? And with the PHDVD in development, they could take on the so called "superior" PS3 and use the new disc to create even more space for the more demanding games. PH DVD can work on red lasers and hold 100GB of data per layer. You see guys, once this new disc comes out, I don't see a way Sony can hold their title as console king.

With that said, I sill think there might be chance of Sony getting their slice of this content.

Oh wait, they have LCS and VCS nevermind.

Edit: Sorry I sounded a little fanboy-ish. I'm just really hyped about the 360's future.
PHDVD is years away from being viable as a real consumer alternative. When I say years I mean 10-20 or more. It's a technology that hasn't proven itself, and it is nowhere near ready to be utilized for mass marketing. Not to mention that there is like...no info whatsoever available out there. Even the head tech sites are scratching their heads about this supposed technology, engadget comes to mind. Add to that the fact that the "corporation" is just finally getting some financial backing. Also we take into account that we're just now transitioning into two HD content discs formats.

Quote:
It is an early stage investment in very high-risk technology and is in line with the declared strategy of the venture capital side of our business
So in short? Don't hold your breathe. This would be as likely as "HD" VHS tapes coming out all of a sudden.

EDIT: Oh and this technology can also be applied to blue laser discs as well...so...
cyrix is offline   Reply With Quote