GTAGaming Forums

GTAGaming Forums (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Series Discussion (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   So what about a Blu-ray re-release? (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120163)

Slim Trashman 11-14-2009 03:50 PM

So what about a Blu-ray re-release?

Some of you may have heard about the God of War Collection, featuring GoW1 & 2, re-release on Blu-ray for PS3. The games will be remastered and play in a 720p native resolution. Each game will also feature its own full set of trophies!

So this idea got me thinking, would you like to see the same done for the original three PS2 GTAs? (III, VC, SA)

I know I certainly would, especially because the newer PS3s are not backwards compatible and my PS2 is about dead (although I do have a 20GB backwards compatible PS3, but since its HDMI port is dead, I only conveniently use my new slim one). But not just the backwards compatibility thing is why I'd like it, trophy support would be AWESOME, and add a lot of replay value to the classics.

So what are your thoughts on the idea?

zeeshan810 11-14-2009 04:13 PM

That would be pretty good if R* does that with 3, SA, VC.

Slim Trashman 11-14-2009 05:29 PM

Last I saw, only SA was on the Xbox originals. Are III and VC on there yet, or have they always been and I just missed it?

I downloaded San Andreas on it, and the completely different controls confused the hell out of me :P

Ash_735 11-14-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olin (Post 2073052)
Even a revamp as simple as the III and VC port to Xbox, but obviously more advanced, would be amazing.

But sadly, the only company that focused on doing ports properly and getting the best out of the consoles it was ported to are Ironically the only Rockstar studio that went bust. :(

Sasha 11-16-2009 06:57 AM

That would be awesome.

As long as the textures were re-done. Implementing a new engine would be too much effort.

Jimmy_86 11-16-2009 03:16 PM

It would definitely need to be something more than a straight port, even if the port was done well, in order for people to take notice in large numbers.

Aesthetic improvments (e.g. HD resolution, textures, reflections or higher quality audio) and achievements/trophies are a good start. Perhaps there could be some sort of online leaderboards function or something along those lines, to add a bit more spice in order to help people think about buying it, especially when they probably already own the original games along with their previous gen console.

That said it's starting to sound like a fair bit of additional work (i.e. money) which I imagine Rockstar would rather pour into current projects.

Slim Trashman 11-16-2009 07:53 PM

Eh, online leaderboards I wouldn't be a fan of. I don't like the idea of taking a game like GTA and indirectly turning it into a "competition" to see who is the best. Sandbox games aren't about contest, because there is no correct way to play.

[KFC]-ScharK 11-16-2009 09:06 PM

Or have the whole series from GTA 1 and on done on a blu-ray disc.. that would be perfect for me

genosyde 11-17-2009 07:02 PM

Sweet

I think that would be a marvelous idea, but for the simple fact that as each one that comes out, I and others must find it hard to go back to the predecessors before. IE... If this compilation were to come out, they would have to 'add' things to make GTA 3 and VC more enjoyable than the originals for PS2/Xbox, and updating the graphics isn't going to cut it, nor do I think Tropheys will..

Maybe if R* could pull off making a net for the game and having GTA 3, GTA VC, and GTA SA online modes similar to GTA IV. I know I for one would love to smoke friends in the Jet fights in SA.

In Conclusion, if they were to do this compilation and spend time, it could bring the 'GTA 3 Era' back up on the pedestel, and if that were the case, I'd hope Rockstar would consider the idea of finally creating the end to a trilogy, 'San Andreas Stories'.

Personally I feel Rockstar walked away from an 'Incomplete chapter' to the GTA 3 Era... and it still can be fixed.

Ash_735 11-17-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genosyde (Post 2074591)
Maybe if R* could pull off making a net for the game and having GTA 3, GTA VC, and GTA SA online modes similar to GTA IV. I know I for one would love to smoke friends in the Jet fights in SA.

Considering the half assed job they done with GTA IV's online, that still hasn't had certain bugs fixed on the PS3 or the way they've accidentally kept DLC and EFLC players apart online Multiplayer, I really don't think they'll go back and put multiplayer in the older games!

genosyde 11-18-2009 09:10 AM

well then..

Personally, if they can't do a net for GTA 3/VC/SA then it's pointless to release them on a single Blu-Ray. I don't think it will hold enough value for gamers..

Zidane 11-18-2009 09:36 AM

I dunno, genosyde. So far 400 gamers think its enough value :)

Hell Inferno X2 11-19-2009 12:48 AM

This would be an awesome idea. I would like the older GTA's to look good on my 46" 1080p HDTV. I tried playing vice city the other day and it looked 20 times worse than it did on my smaller SDTV. If R* spends a little money improving the graphics and putting it on blu-ray, then I'm sure the sales will compensate for the costs.

RapBoy 11-22-2009 04:44 AM

I'd love to see that :D
But since I'm a PC gamer I'd love a re-release for the PC version aswell.

Zidane 11-22-2009 07:21 AM

I don't think they can put all three GTAs on one blu-ray for PC, dude. They already have the triple pack for PC, don't they?