GTAGaming Forums

GTAGaming Forums (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/index.php)
-   Grand Theft Auto IV Mods (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=318)
-   -   Quick question about modding textures. (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113768)

_Karma_ 02-26-2009 09:34 PM

Quick question about modding textures.

I've been doing a lot of retexturing (check out my Niko avatar) but I haven't figured out a way to preview how things look on the mesh without having to start the entire game every time. Takes a very long time to do so and I was hoping that someone could recommend a better way to get a prevew of the mesh and textures I'm working with without starting up the game.

Haven't had too much luck getting answers so any help someone can offer will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

rappo 02-26-2009 11:07 PM

The only thing I can think of is having to export the model and import into the new version of ZModeler (which you need to buy) and applying the textures again via ZModeler's tool. This is probably a lot of work just to get a preview, and you might be better off just starting the game. Use XLiveLess when testing out a mod because it'll make the game's load much faster.

_Karma_ 02-26-2009 11:50 PM

Ah cool, thanks a lot for the advice.
I've been using XLive Wrapper but I still can't get any .asi scripted mods to run on the latest patch. I had the car spawner running no problem before the update. Think XLive will work for that too? Is there something else I need to run with XLiveless to run asi mods, or will that be sufficient? I mean, will I need to run asi loader or alice alongside XLiveless?
Just asking since I'll probably switch to that per your advice. Hopefully that will fix my mods not working after patching as well as allow me to view my textures a lot faster.

I really appreciate your advice. Thanks rappo.

rappo 02-26-2009 11:52 PM

Which ASI mods are you trying to run? Please provide links and stuff :wink2:

_Karma_ 02-27-2009 01:36 AM

Sure thing,
I'm trying to run:
Car Spawner In-Game Menu
and
The Speedometer mod hosted lower down on this page.

I was using this car spawner and it worked awesome until I updated to the most recent patch.
Maybe that's why someone made a new one.
Older Car Spawner

Last of all, I was trying to get this mod (CharComponents Mod) running but can't seem to get a single one to work...which makes me think I must be missing something.

I think that's it...Thanks a lot for your help, rappo!

brew1 02-27-2009 11:42 AM

I got the ingame car spawner to work with alex blades asi loader. but i would recommend going right to simple native trainer v2.4 because it has the same car spawner in it, as well as object spawner, speed, teliporting and more.

JC 02-27-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brew1 (Post 1954225)
I got the ingame car spawner to work with alex blades asi loader. but i would recommend going right to simple native trainer v2.4 because it has the same car spawner in it, as well as object spawner, speed, teliporting and more.

I use that.
+rep btw good help.

_Karma_ 03-02-2009 05:32 PM

Doh, after all that I realized that I was missing FileCheck.asi (or whatever it's called). I knew it had to be something stupid and small because I'm definitely not a mod newb....I'm just a little bit flaky....
Thanks guys. Still hoping for a way to preview textures on models without starting up the game but it looks like there's no such thing at the moment.