GTAGaming Forums

GTAGaming Forums (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting & Technology (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=303)
-   -   Patch screwed everything up (http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111720)

smegmusmagnus 12-13-2008 04:50 PM

Patch screwed everything up

game had been running just fine, but I wanted to use joystick, so I patched it.

game had all sorts of problems, immediately; became unplayable.

have attempted to remove game from system (Vista Home Premium; 32 - bit), with and without UAC turned on. Game would not uninstall using disk. would not uninstall using add/remove programs feature; had to delete directly from C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games.

Setup program will only offer Modify, Repair, or Remove; no install. As there are no files to repair or modify, these are useless. Also, remove claims to work (as though there are vestiges still in system) but this makes no difference.

I have also manually removed holdover data through the 'AppData' locations.

there is a GTA IV file that will not uninstall from the Add/Remove area; when I try to uninstall, it sez that SecuROM license failed to release.

I have tried everything that I can think of to get this game to re-install and have run out of options.

Can anyone help, please?

Thank you

Nite 12-13-2008 05:05 PM

Download CC Cleaner and run that. if it cleans any of the registry entries from GTA4 it might let you reinstall.

smegmusmagnus 12-13-2008 05:33 PM

Thank you Nite, I will try that. I am dubious though, as I have a registry cleaner that I used during this debacle.

Thundercracker 12-14-2008 12:33 AM

You can really only Google and search in hopes that someone has included any registry entries you could remove yourself if CCleaner doesn't work.

You can always attempt Repair. If you're lucky, it'll reinstall.

smegmusmagnus 12-14-2008 10:56 AM

What I decided to do was to completely wipe my hard drive, re - install Vista, and then re - install game.

major pain in the ass. I will not be re - installing the patch, of course; I just have to hope that they do not decide to automatically update, or require updating, in the future.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Lao Boy 12-14-2008 11:10 AM

Next time you should use System Restore man, works wonders if you know how to use it. :p

thenotsogoodtrickster 12-14-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lao Boy (Post 1918692)
Next time you should use System Restore man, works wonders if you know how to use it. :p

Heh, ends up when I tried to use that, my system restore wasn't active at all 0.0 There were no restore points :/

Thundercracker 12-14-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

System Restore is difficult to use. You can't predict when it will actually help you with a problem you're having.

Yam Trigger 12-14-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

If I had a nickle for every time that saved my ass...

Pignoah 12-14-2008 04:45 PM

Couldn't you do a system restore, to the day before or something?

smegmusmagnus 12-15-2008 01:27 AM

good point, about system restore.

however; i do a lot of maintenance on my comp. everyday, including thorough cleansing of things like system restore points.

that method has helped me in the past, though.